troubled tranny... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 02:32 AM
maxwebster

troubled tranny...

I have searched in vain for an answer to this, so possibly someone out there can help me. My trans (5 spd) in my sami always had a sloppy shifter, but after a while it was harder to get it to go into reverse. Then while 4 wheeling last weekend, it became impossible to get fifth or reverse. I pulled out the shifter, and noticed a worn out locator bolt, so I made a new one and put it all back together, still no dice...I took out the shifter again, and can shift into every gear easily with a screwdriver, so I made sure all the slots were in nuetral, put in the shifter and still, it wont go into fifth or reverse. any ideas? By the way, great site, new member, just found it by accident..Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 06:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: troubled tranny...

I'm no expert on tranny woes, but other than wear on the shifter, I would consider that the synchros might be suspect....
Is the clutch adjusted properly?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 09:25 AM

I know that there is also another shifter locator bolt on the tail shaft of the tranny. I think it holds the shift fork in place for reverse, but I am not sure. Check out this pic, then you might want to take a few minutes and check this bolt on your tranny.

Maybe someone else could chime in on exactly what that bolt does!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 12:39 PM
maxwebster

ok, thanks, that pic was great Spaceman. I did not know about the second locating bolt. I have free use of a machine shop, so I am having the ball on the shifter welded and filled, then a new slot and hole ground into it. Also the shop is making me some locator bolts that are hardened better than the originals. Finally, I am putting a helicoil into the locator bolt hole. This will make it considerably stronger than original. Also, I think a nylock nut will keep the whole assembly tighter than the lockwasher that was on there. Great forum, I think I am going to like it here!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 02:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

A fairly common upgrade is to convert the shifter tower to use a dual guide pin arrangement. The original 8mm bolt is replaced with the 10mm guide pin from a late model Sami and the slot is then machined to accept it. 180° from it another guide pin is fitted to the tower and the shifter is again machined to accept it. This one uses the smaller 8mm guide pin as there's not much material there to go to the larger guide pin. The result is that shifting is very precise. I believe Sarge does this. Give him a shout....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode