TOO MUCH LIFT! Need help....... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

TOO MUCH LIFT! Need help.......

As some of you know, I'm building my Samurai up using a 4.3L etc. Right now, the stock YJ's are SPOA on Toy's. As it stands, it's fine. But after much debate and hair-pulling I may put on a 1" body lift. I HATE to do this but it will make so many things, SO much easier. And it'll make things possible that weren't otherwise. Here's the problem. With the above mentioned, it dwarfs my 33's. IMO, it does. Others may not think so but.....
I have a brand new set of 33" Grabber MT's (never used yet) on a brand new set of rims. I also have some cut 33" Boggers that I bought used but never used yet myself. In order to keep this lift height, I would need 35's minimum and at that, I would likely go with 36's instead. As you can see, that would push this rig to new limits; ones which I don't want to approach. So, the solution: bring down the lift.

I'm keeping the 1" body lift so that means the springs need addressing. The only thing that I can see being done is to go SPUA with lifted springs. Believe me, I wouldn't do this unless absolutely necessary. Now, assuming the SPOA alone raised it about 4 inches, I may look at getting 3" lift springs, or 2.5" if they exist. After they compress, it'll come down a bit but for now.... [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
At least with the SPUA, I don't need to worry about a trac bar (as much) and maybe not even a panhard bar. For now. But the sacrifice is ride quality and flex. Oh well, the missing links up front will help.

This brings me to a question: why do we always use rear YJ's all around? They came stock with 4 leafs in front, and 5's in the rear. Would the 4's be better up front? And I can't see them being too soft because the Jeeps are much heavier than our Zuk's. Not to mention, many Jeeps were 4.2 or 4.0's up front.

Guess I just want your input on this decision. I'm definitely NOT running 33's on SPOA lift. Looks hilarious IMO. And to buy new tires.....I don't think so. Even though I'm 6'5", I'd need a friggin' ladder to get in the thing [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Anyone know anything about lifted YJ springs? Which to choose??? How about running the 4's up front: 5's in the rear?

Thanks for listening [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: TOO MUCH LIFT! Need help.......

Hey, I'm only 5'8" I sometimes wonder how I get into mine. I've got to help the ol'lady in everytime.
Anyway, I run 4's up front and 5's in the rear. Just like they came off the Heep.
Brent at trail tough said that you can run them that way with no problem.
With lifted Yjs, I have no clue. But, I know if I were to get some, I wouldn't get anything over 1.5"
Mine is tall enough and if I went any bigger I wouldn't be able to fit in the garage [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hemo, What kind of expectations do you have from your lift? Example... flex, or to fit the drivetrain appropriately, or clearance for tires, etc...

The reason I ask is because that might help people give you some advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 03:55 PM

I have wondered about the YJ 'spring thing' myself. I run six-leaf YJ's and find the combination perfect (double main leaf in the front and an added intermediate leaf to a five pack in the rear). I have tried 4's and 5's and found them too bouncy for my taste (highway driving). The only way I can figure that YJ's work on the Heeps "better" than the Sami's is the weight. I am guessing that the added weight of the vehicle requires more spring deflection to develop the capacity necessary to carry the load. In flattening out more to carry the additional Heep load, they must pick up additional leaves and firm up. If you look at YJ's on a YJ, they are pretty flat. If I remember correctly, there was a change in spring rate for the different year YJ's. The early ones were softer if I am not mistaken.

The comment about what you want is a good one.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 04:10 PM

just run old warn out YJ's. i should send you a set of mine.
4's in front, 5's in rear, and my rears sit falt, and my fronts are acually inverted.....
clears 38's just fine....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 04:12 PM

is your engine in yet. as well as tranny and tcase.. if not they will bring it down about two or more inches..

for my setup (2.8 v6 t-5and d300) I run a 5 leaf pack in the front (regualr 4 pack with extra main leaf at the top) and in the rear a plain 4 pack in the rear,,, rides nice and with 1 inch body lift it looks good enough for me..

Also i found that with just a 4 leaf in the front the springs would bottom out when hitting bumps on the road.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1285250-DSC00008.JPG (60.1 KB, 5 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 05:02 PM

When I had my old blue samurai I was spua with rears upfront and CJ fronts in the rear. The main leaf upfront was from a lifted calmini rear main. The rest were mix and match of stock front and rear springs, for a 5 leaf pack. I had a set of 1" lifted mising links on front and the rear was the stock CJ front pack with 1.5" longer shackle. I think that combo would work well for you. I needed another inch or so to stuff the 33's really well. Then a spoa it with those same springs and it was way to huge. Ended up going to smaller shackles and removing a couple of leaves and it was still to big for 33's.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 05:43 PM

Steve,

I used 5 leaf YJ in the front on the experience of others who had done the mod already. I made hybrid 6 leaf packs for the rear out of a mix of 4 and 5 leaf packs. The intent was to help with spring wrap - don't know the results yet.

Personally, I think it is pretty soft with this setup. I mean I can compress the springs several inches by jumping up and down on the bumpers, its like a trampoline. Using 4 leafs would certainly drop your height a little, maybe an inch or so. The 5 leafs in the front have a little lift on them, they are not flat. It still puzzles me that these springs seem so soft even though they came off a much heavier jeep.

Go ahead and try several different spring packs, its pretty easy to swap them in and out as needed, let us know what you find. Personally, I can't imagine going back to a SPUA with a lifted spring. I'm only 6' and yes its a step up there (77" to top of roll bar) but it really helps keep the rockers and body off the big rocks. IMHO, if you intend to wheel it hard, keep the SPOA

I would run the 33's until they wear out and get some 35s or 36s. A 35 looks great with this amount of lift (see attachment). BTW, Sam's has dunlop mudders in a 35" size for like only $105 each IIRC.

Paul

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1285306-side.JPG (60.6 KB, 48 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

WOW! Thanks for the input guys [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] But it seems from some of the responses that my first post was a little unclear, maybe? I have the 5 pack YJ's in SPOA now and if I keep them this way with the 1" body lift, they'll be too tall for the 33's. Too be honest, the last thing I want is to go 35's right now. Maybe never? I know, how many of us have said that! LOL
I had the engine in with the tranny/t-case and partial body and the springs were pretty flat. Not totally but up there. Here's a pic:

There is NO hood, full body, fuel tank, ME, etc. so for now I can't say for sure how it'll look. But my impressions are that it'll be too tall. Around here, there isn't much in the way of rock crawling. Most is mud and trails so the "flex" isn't a top priority. I'm building this rig as both a fun off-road and on-road vehicle.

I guess I'm getting ahead of myself because I really should wait until the body goes on, and everything else. THEN, I could decide for certain. I just wanted to get some opinions before then [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again to all you guys that responded. Much appreciated [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1285466-New Samurai build up 13.JPG (70.8 KB, 3 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 09:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Dude, it really doesn't look that tall.
Even when you put the 1" body lift on, it won't change things that much, but it will give ya lot more room for the drivetrain to fit.
Believe me, your Zuk's springs will "settle" after you start driving it and taking it off road a few times.
Look at these pic's, the 1st one is before taking it off road, 2nd is what it looks like now after driving and wheeling it a few times. It went down a good 1 1/2 in

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1285579-truck.jpg (24.3 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode