Samarai front end alignment and oil rings - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 08:18 AM
dickdowd

Samarai front end alignment and oil rings

I have a 1988 Samarai that is about 1/2 inch out of toe. How do I bring it back in alignment.

I also have a big oil problem. Replace the fuel pump, did a valve job but still uses much oil. I think it may be a bad set of rings. Can I pull the head and the pan without taking the engine out? If I can find the cylinder, can I just replace that set of rings? Don't have the bucks to rebuild the engine. Engine has about 95,000 miles on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 01:47 PM
Journeyman

Re: Samarai front end alignment and oil rings

If its a ring problem you should be getting some smoke out the exhaust? are you?
Any puddles under the zuk in the driveway?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 02:03 PM
dickdowd

Thanks for the reply. That's the problem, not smoke, but does seem to be some black goo coming out of the tail pipe. But there is not puddles. We also couldn't get a new gasket for the distributor when be did a valve job. Any other ideas ? We seem to be having lots of pressure in the valve cover. Could we have gotten something wrong with the head gasket? We changed the PCV valve, and replaced the fuel pump. We've run out of ideas.

Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

dickdowd:

If you look at the tierod on the driver's side wheel, you'll notice that there is a set of adjusting nuts there. Loosen and tighten as necessary until things line back up. HOWEVER, you should carefully inspect the tierod for straightness and look for any other damage (sloppy ball joints) in the area that might affect alignment. The best way to fix this problem is to take it to a shop to get it aligned after you have found and replaced the damaged/bent parts. See Izook.com for a comprehensive list of links for Samurai parts.

Did you replace the fuel pump because it had a perforated punp diaphragm? As in there was gasoline in theh oil?

If so, it's time for a rebuild. If you put new rings in it, the main bearings will eventually go anyway causing a waste of the ring replacement money. Better yet, find a 1.6 8-valve or 16-valve, get a adapter kit and give that Zuk new pep!

Theoretically, you can remove the pistons out the top by removing the pan and the head, but it better be suffering from shot rings instead of a washed engine (see previous paragraph above).

Been there, done that, got the credit card bills instead of the tee shirt...

Hope this helps

Ack
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 11:01 AM
dickdowd

Sent you an email which caused all sorts fo issues, so here is my response. Fuel pump did the notorious oil leak. No gas leak.

Front end parts seem ok, except a few bushing seem lopsided. Does not appear to be bent or jammed.

Thanks
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 04:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Dickdowd:

Hi, I got my email fixed in my profile. I changed from cable to DSL and I guess I forgot to fix that.

Any kind of fuel pump failure in a 1300cc (G13a OR G13b) engine is a SERIOUS PROBLEM.

Feel free to email me with a description of what happened to the pump that caused you to replace it.

There is no point in spending any money on the wrong problem. I know this - trust me, I KNOW!

Finally, the 1.6 16-valve with EFI transplant is the most popular transplant from a simplicity standpoint with the 1.6 8-valve Weber/Pony carbed as a close second. This type of swap is great for getting your feet wet in the offroad modding experience. Everything else is, in my limited opinion, okay if you have time, money or experience in engine swaps. Try a search here in the Geo Forum for terms like "4.3", "engine swap", "harness" for more detailed information on swaps.

Ack

"Talk not, DO!" - Yoda
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 08:28 AM
Journeyman

How much oil are you using?
You running a stock carb or Weber?

I have a 1.6 short block w\adapter kit (trans adapter and engine mounts) sittin in my garage that I can part with for a reasonable price. I lined up a GTI engine so will no longer be doing the 1.6 conversion.
Give me a shout if your interested or just wanna talk zuks i'm not too far from ya..
Robert
817-847-5972
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 11:08 PM
Addict

You might also want to look at all the lines that go alone with the pcv system. I had all my line stopped up and it was causing it to blow oil out everwhere if I run it more that 10 miles. Once the hoses and the T were clean out, no more oil leaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode