4dr on 34's questons: Sidekick stock IFS limits - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 08:06 PM
whitfield

4dr on 34\'s questons: Sidekick stock IFS limits

I'm workig on building my 4dr Kick to run 34 LTBS. I have a laundry list of stuff I want to do Body lift, GV springs, XJ spacers, trim the fenders, ect.... but I'm short on time as I'm working to make Zuwharrie in mid April. I began this morning 10 am.

Stock 1994 4dr auto

I installed a 2" body lift and set the 34's under it just to check it out.

I am picking up a set of Grand Vitara 4dr springs this weekend and installing them for another 1.5" -2" then i have a set of 2" XJ coil spacers. I realize that once I reach beyond the 2" mark I'll need to address the strut & arm geometry. How far can I go stock? (2")?

If I make a 2"-3" strut space (1" Mount Flip already considered) and fab lower control arm mounts to drop the IFS 2" -3" can the center housing and CV's live at this angle temporarly. I plan on going back and dropping the housing too, but not sure I can get the fab work completed in the few days I have off between now & then.

Thanks, Hope I'm not asking to much at once... seeing the 34's in place has jumping to get this thing going.

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 10:57 PM

Re: 4dr on 34\'s questons: Sidekick stock IFS limits

With 4" of suspension lift, even with new arms, you'll blow the CV's on any half decent trail. Most figure that 2.5" is the max that you can safely run off road.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 05:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 4dr on 34\'s questons: Sidekick stock IFS limi

Trouble areas for the IFS are the aluminum pig (diff part that holds the gears) mount breaks, the whole housing can also break, and then the CV's. with 34's you will likely start stressing all of it once you hit the trail.
there are ways to fix it. check out zookiworld bbs for the rundown. I think they may have a faq. I just chucked all it when I lifter mine and went solid toyota axles as I know all these issues. I wouldn't go over 31's with stock front end componants. carry spare shafts too. good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 04:49 PM
whitfield

After reading the Almost Unbreakable CV's thread I relize I have got a lot more to learn. I need to hang out and search ? absorb more IFS tech, seems I'm more behind than I thought.

I'll try to drop the A-arms and axle to a more level position and go from there.
I'm just trying to squeeze in about 8 hrs of moderate trails. The rear will actually be doing most of the work ( at Zuwharrie anyway) + I might get to trailer down and back. But I'll bring plenty of front spares.

After meeting Jim Mazolla, Mike hagen, and Kerry Whitting, at Zuki Melt 2002 I was amazed at what the IFS rigs could do.

Anyone have any pictures of their dropped A-arm and housing mounts.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 07:27 PM

i wheeled last spring with mike hagen and some of his buddies at their hangout in apple valley farms. their trackicks were very impressive and very capable even with ifs. some of the rpm club members broke parts but mike did not. trackicks are not my flavor but one has to admire how well they perform with the right amound of modifications (labor and $$)and drivers.

[img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 11:17 PM
Way Outta Control

I was worried about the CV's and the aluminum diff when I put 35's on mine. So I only went 1" coil spacers with a 2.5" body lift and cut, cut, cut. I'm sure the ARB strains it too.
It's been good the last year and a half with no trouble - I use it about every two weeks and run it on some pretty difficult trails with a Jeep club. Only a couple of them outdo me - by just a little.

Not much flex, but who needs it? Driving technique and picking the right line does it.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 02:41 AM
whitfield

I have the 2" body lift installed and I have punched out the 2" XJ Coil spacers with a 2.5" hole saw (Perfect fit). I'm picking up the GV coils in the morning and I've just about finished fabbing up the first 2 A-Arm drop brackets. I've decided to just drop everything 4". This will give me close to factory specs and allow me to add another inch or two if I need it or continue to modify as I would a stock Kick.

Basicly CV's and arm's will be near stock angles.

I clipped a 4 dr Kick frame at the A-pillar body mount. Now I have a nice manageable $40 Jig to fab up my suspension on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode