first start - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 11:50 AM
Sami86

first start

Is there any way to pre-lube the 1.3L sami engine like on a chevy? I rebuilt my engine, and am just about ready to start it up for the first time. The engine has been sitting for about a year since it was rebuilt, and I am a little concerned about a dry startup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 12:13 PM

Re: first start

the samurai and most imports have the oil pump on the crank shaft the book I have said to pull the plugs and turn it over with the starter untill you get oil pressure

that is for a new motor one that has assembly lube on everything

for a older one you might try the same i would however take off the oil filter and fill it with oil fill the block passageswith oil thru the oil filter hole as much as as I could

I did this fill trick on one and didnt bother on another it took very little cranking to get pressure on the filled one. It took so long to get the nonfilled one I almost took the filter off to fill it.

another way to pre lube it would be with a pressurized container of oil conected to the oil pressure sender hole might be able to use a weed sprayer filled with motor oil.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 03:18 PM

I was always told before the first start up of a fresh motor to take the valve cover off and fill the motor with up oil by "spreading" the oil over each lifter. This in a sense " pre-soaks" the motor instead of waitting for the pickup to spread it around. I dunno, just old timers teaching me tricks I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 01:27 AM

when rebuilding a motor thats what assembly lube is for.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 05:35 AM

Put it on an engine stand, flip it over , pull the oil pan and pour oil on everything in sight. Then put the pan on flip it back over and do the same w/the valve cover. Let it drain well, add the rest of the oil. Pull the disty. Find a screwdriver that closly matches the shape and size of the end of the disty shaft....or a shaft off an old disty....chuck it in a drill insert into the disty hole and spin until you get pressure.

DISCLAIMER!!!!!- never done this on a zook engine. But this was common practice on our race engines.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode