Engine swaps - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 09:10 PM
jackkinkel

Engine swaps

Thanks for the input to my last post but----what I need are specifics. Is there a motor/transmition (carburated, standard trans) from some other vehicle (model and year) that basically will fit in the compartment, bolt in with shop made mounts and exhaust system and drive shaft modifications (other mods) ?? My transmition and engine are both toast, body and rest of drivetrain are great. Don't want any hotrod or off road stuff, just want to get this thing back on the road again. This is a great site with great info--I just need more specifics. Thanks, Jack. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 10:56 PM

Re: Engine swaps

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Is there a motor/transmition (carburated, standard trans) from some other vehicle (model and year) that basically will fit in the compartment, bolt in with shop made mounts and exhaust system and drive shaft modifications (other mods) ??

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense but you just defined what fabrication is. Any motor will do all of the above with fabrication in a shop. Anything from the Iron Turbo Dukes ( ford 4cyl) to Ford 460's have been put into these things. Now if you asking along the lines of simplicity, well its hard to put a price on that, because what some call simple others would call a F'n nightmare [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Its not up to us to break it down as much as its up to you to develop a taste for a particular setup and modify your samurai to compensate it....Good luck...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 11:51 PM

sounds like you might wanna just get a low milage 1.3 and a rebuilt transmition. Thats the cheapest route and if you arent looking for more power or anything it should do you just fine. But if you're looking for something else then studly pretty much hit the hammer on the head for you.

Best thing to do is look at things that have been done and see what you can get for a good price in your area. Then see how difficult it is. Like studly said tho....any thing is possible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 01:39 AM

Easiest thing is just to buy another 1.3L and a rebuilt zuki trans. If your looking for junk yard motors the only one I could think of would be a 1298 cc out of a metro. That would bolt onto a zuki trans then just use your stock intake and exaust mufflers.

Once you step aay from there probably the next asiest would be a 1.6L swap and you'd find thoe in most older trackers. The 8V is aprett straight forward swap,l and again you ould use the stock intake/exaust manifolds. Just buy the kit from trail tough.

Onceyou go away rom there you are going to ned to fab stuff up or buy some kits from someone.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 06:32 AM

Don't even consider rebuilding that 1.3L. That would be a total waste of money, IMO. At the very least, get a 1.6L and buy a kit to install it yourself. Very easy, and cheap. The benefits over the 1.3L are like night and day.
Other than the 1.6, you're getting into a lot more $$$ and a lot more work.

Cheers,
Steve
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 08:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

POint of clarification if I may. An "iron Duke (151 C.I.) engine is a GM engine. Ford would never produce that turd. And a Turbo model is just a polished Turd.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 08:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ford fans might refer to that engine as the Iron "Dukie" [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Every once in a while when I think of what it would be like to win the lottery and be able to build anything I want, I toy with the idea of building a turbo 2.3 Samurai...nahhh.

Let's build a 65% scale Alvis Stalwart with Tracker IFS components and an Anvil axle housing up front! Then drive the length of the Lewis and Clark exploration route via the Missouri River (roads? we don't need no Steeenkin' roads!)

Confused? Google "Alvis Stalwart".

Ack
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 08:39 PM
jackkinkel

I think you are right Steve. Are there certain years of the 1.6L to look for?? Who makes the kit that is needed??

Thanks, Jack.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 09:31 PM

I've used the Trail Tough kit with great success. Very easy to install and no problems with the fit. As for which 1.6L engine, I think they're all fine; just depends on what you want for the fuel system. If you stay carbed, I think the 8 valve would be your choice, but I would go EFI and get an 8 valve or a 16 valve. The EFI will cost more though because you'll need a wiring harness.
I haven't worked with the 1.3L or 1.6L in so long that I may be missing/forgetting something.... anyone else wanna throw something in?

Cheers,
Steve
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 09:57 PM
bighorsemustang

one thing's a positive note that you've started in the right place by asking questions on this post. be patient with the answers you get and use them with an opened mind. like the man said you can make most anything work but you've got to do lots' of research and some trail and error
too. i've got an enormous amount of help from this post in swaping a 1.3 and 5 spd into my SJ410. i should be turning the key this week-end if everything goes as planned. and if not, i'm alot closer than i was last week or the week before. thanks so, so, much to all who helped me research this project. my hat's off to each and everyone of you

mike sebring, fl
84 SJ410 5 inch SPOA and much more

THANKS AGANS FELLOW ZUK LOVERS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode