Engine stall issue - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 08:16 PM
Mr_Quality

Engine stall issue

After a search of previous posts I have decided to post and see if the experts can help. I have a stock 96 Tracker. A ongoing problem is driving me nuts with this otherwise fine running vehicle. It starts and runs fine but when you come to a stop at say a light the RPM will drop and it will stall. It will start fine and idle fine until you come to the next stop and the process will repeart itself. This may go on for seven or eight times straight then it will idle fine the rest of the day. It may do it on a hot or cold engine. I've changed plugs, wires, EGR, O2 sensor, fuel filter, and mechanics nobody has fgured it out. Any help for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 08:49 PM

Re: Engine stall issue

Well, Mr. Quality, interesting you should ask. I also have a '96 Tracker that behaves similarly but it doesn't always stall or even idle low. Otherwise, the vehicle runs great. From research, advice here on the group and various recalls and on the 'net, there are two things that would cause these symptoms: a faulty ECU (search and you will find references to this) or a faulty IACV. From what I've heard/read/know, I'm guessing it's the IACV. The local dealer wants $300+ for this part. I've had the vehicle for more than a couple years now and lived with it all this time. I just don't see it being worth $300 to fix with the mileage it has.

If you come up with a remedy, let me know !! Good luck. Incidentally, since you didn't mention it, I thought I'd mention the low idle doesn't trip the service engine light.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 09:18 PM
Veteran

Check out this link. Looks like good info.
LINK to Idle air control valve

Go to Google and search for IACV. Lots of info there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 10:22 PM
LilRed

My '95 does the same thing! Can I replace the IACV with one off any year model Tracker or Kick?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 07:07 PM

Thanks, AkDale, some interesting information you shared there. From reading the information, it seems like there might be some way to clean the IACV? I'm looking for your impression -- or perhaps others' impressions based upon first-hand experience -- since it is cheaper to clean than replace. It seems like some other parts of this motor also get sooted up. My EGR valve comes to mind, for example, and that does trip the service engine light on mine, but only when it's cold outside. The vehicle has about 80,000 miles on it, gets 26mpg on the highway, and otherwise runs great.

Anyone care to venture a potential cure? If someone searches back far enough, I think I asked about this more than a year ago. So far, I also replaced the fuel filter, ran numerous fuel system cleaners through the system and checked all the vacuum lines. I haven't futzed with the TPS because, I guess, if I haven't tinkered with it, then there shouldn't be anything wrong with it .... am I totally off-base on that?

Thanks, Group.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode