rear cv drive shaft - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

rear cv drive shaft

i'm looking to upgrade my rear driveshaft to a cv style driveshaft. i have SPOA YJ TT missing links up front and YJ's in the rear running stock shafts with the ears ground down. i currently have vibes in 2nd gear and the splines are a bit wore down giving a horrible sound when i push in the clutch and coast at higher speeds. what drive shafts would you all recommend? i dont want to get a yota shaft and cut it down. i want something that is made for my 88.5 or newer flanges with no adapters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 02:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: rear cv drive shaft

Your kidding right (lol) i am not going to beable to work now ROTFLMAO.... just kiidung with you if you find it let us know
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 03:46 PM
Old Hand

Well, ummmmmmmmmmm...........let's see.

You can spend at least $300 (at least) and get a new CV driveshaft. OR, you can spend $150-$200 and get a toy shaft upgrade ($75-$100 for shaft & $75 for adapters).

'79-'83 shafts are what you are looking for. No cutting needed. If you've moved your axle back at least 1", I'd go for the '84-'86 shaft.

On a 88.5 & newer---you could even get away with redrilling your stock flanges. I'd go with the Rat-adapters & make it a bolt-on upgrade. Saves time & headache. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Brad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 06:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
i want something that is made for my 88.5 or newer flanges with no adapters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quick question, why?

Once the shaft is made for the rig along with adapter it works very well. That is what I would reccomend because they work well without huge expense. If you have cash to play with there are a lot of choices out there but short of winning one I wouldn't put the $ up for one.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

we'll i've learned through experience that there is a cheap way of doing it and a right way of doing it. Not very often will you find both a cheap and right way together. I've bought many used parts and more often than not, wish that i would have just gone out and bought the new part instead of trying to be cheap. in my opinion you should do it right the first time and be happy with it instead of doing it cheap or used and regret it later. not to say that buying used parts or cheap is always bad, just saying that i'm trying to learn from my mistakes. you get what you pay for.

i'm looking for the best possible cv driveshaft i can get then i'll weigh the price compared to the benefit. I'm sure the rat adapters and toy shafts work fine but for those with that setup given the choice between say a toy shaft and adapters or tom woods custom cv shaft, what would you pick leaving the price out of the equation.

i've also seen shafts listed from TT, Rocky Road and a few other places, just wondered the quality of those.

thanks for the replies so far, this board rocks!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 04:27 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode