Swift GTi EFI on samurai engine - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 10:40 PM
JKing

Swift GTi EFI on samurai engine

Any idea if I could take the entire fuel injection intake and computer box plus wiring harness from a swift gti and put it on our samurai engine? I am currently carbed and would like to know about running efi.
I've done a search but turned out negative. I may have not looked at the right place or used a wrong search word.
Thanks
[img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 11:26 PM

Re: Swift GTi EFI on samurai engine

I don't belive so. The GTI is a 16 V head, and I know the exhaust doesn't fit, I doubt
the intake would. Go for a post 88 sami EFI.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 07:48 AM

I think it will work. If you can put a Sumo2 head (samurai) onto a gti short block. Then a GTI head would fit on a Samurai short block. AS mentioned the exhaust will not work. The samurai exhaust will not bolt up and the GTI exhaust manifold conflicts with the drivers side engine mount. A custom exhaust manifold would be needed. I have head rumors of people redirlling a sammi header to fit. The exhaust ports are the same but the bolt pattern is different between the two engnes.
There will also be a clearance problem with the GTI distributor and the fire wall. Someone on this BBS (Xfactor I think) posted a fix for this. An early 90's mazda dist cap from a turbo model fits and provides the needed clearance. Use the search here on the BBS to get the details.
Another potential problem with this swap is you will end up with an interference engine. There are 4 valves in the GTI head and only 2 valve dimples on the sammis pistons. If your timing belt broke..things could get ugly.
My suggestion would be to install the whole GTI engine rather than just the head. The GTI short block has a forged crank and can rev up to infinity..lol,loves to run at high RPMs. The gti engine should be an easy swap. The transmission and engine mounts line right up.
Good luck with your project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 07:53 AM

Hmmmmm, Iguess I need to read things more carefully before posting.
The intake manifold from the GTI will not fit the Samurai's head. The intake ports are oval on the gti and round on the Samurai. Not to mention the bolt pattern is different.
sorry.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 01:46 PM

the samurai has dished pistons and gti are pretty much flat top so your compression ratio would be lower than stock gti which would suck.

whazoo is correct that the gti intake will not fit the samurai 8v head.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 03:40 AM
JKing

Thanks all for the reply 'bout the negative possibility of a gti intake on the samurai head. and am i in a bad luck or what???

My samurai's engine just developed a clickerty clackerty sound that goes in rhythm with the revs. sure sounds loud enough to be worry.
Can't trace the sound. It had the sound (a bit) before I did a valve backlash adjustment. After the adjustment, it was OK and now about 1 month later, the sound is sure louder than I can remember.

Any ideas? The shop tells me that it may be worn rocker arms or shaft or piston problems rather than the valve backlash setting.

So? My question now is that since the gti efi intake cannot be bolted up to the samurai's head, I can sure bolt up the entire head and intake of the gti to the samurai's block and arriving at an interference setup... Am I right? Any other items that I need to consider like Timing belts? Distributor? etc?...

I'm not too worried about having lower compression. How much lower can it be? If it's low enough, a tiny turbo may be of help? I'm not looking at huge gains but just want a tiny boost to make driving a bit less stressful if you know what I mean.

I may be wrong...

Thanks again [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 06:23 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
My samurai's engine just developed a clickerty clackerty sound that goes in rhythm with the revs. sure sounds loud enough to be worry.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you popped off the valve cover and checked to see if you tightened down all the adjuster set screws? Also, have you checked to see if the phillips head screws backed out of the rocker arm caps? These are both two very likely problems.
I say this especially since you said:</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
It had the sound (a bit) before I did a valve backlash adjustment. After the adjustment, it was OK and now about 1 month later, the sound is sure louder than I can remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check it out...it's probably something simple..........

As for power gains, get it running good and look up a few of the recent posts about Turbo's.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode