GTI Hybrid Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 02:53 AM
dieseltech

GTI Hybrid Question

I am currently working on putting togather a a gti hybrid engine(gti bottom end with sohc sami head) My question is I want to run the gti accessorys so I would have to run the timing sprocket off the gti which won't work with sami cam sprocket. The square teeth don't work so well round teeth. Can I use a cam sprocket off 1.6L or another suzuki engine to make this engine work? Any ideas or comments are appriated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 07:42 AM
Old Hand

Re: GTI Hybrid Question

why not use the cam and crank sprockets from the Samurai (Zuk)......on both...then place the pulley from the GTI over the crank sprocket.....one hole will line up....drill and tap out the other 4......??

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 04:38 PM
Alfie

Dave has a good suggestion there. But to answer your Q, the Gti cam sprockets bolt straight on. (Vitara too I believe. )But are 25 mm. wide ( as is the Gti crank sprocket ) and your 19mm belt will walk forward and cut through your plastic cover. (ask me how I know.) If you can get a 25 mm. belt with 89 round teeth you should be right .
These belts were found on the very late model coilies. (Damn)

If you fit a lipped tensioner wheel with the 19 mm. belt it will work. Get an engineer type to press a lipped wheel onto your tensioner wheel.
I did this, it gives you a bit more adjustment if you get it a few mm. larger diameter.

Or do what Dave says.

Alf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 09:27 AM

dave has a great idea actually. i have a large pile of blown to $hit 1300 engines to rob crank sprockets from to practice on to make sure it get done perfectly. i know i have a spare gti harmonic balancer some where in my garage that you can have too...just gotta find it.

[img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode