Difference/preference: EZ Locker vs. Loc-Rite - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Difference/preference: EZ Locker vs. Loc-Rite

I searched (I really did ... back a year!) for this info. Every couple months it comes up but I couldn't find the thread. What are people running here? Is there a difference? Maybe warranty performance?

I'm also considering a spool for the rear end only of my weekend Samurai that is used mostly on the road to get to the trails, but once to the trails could greatly benefit from the added traction. The vehicle uses 215 BFG ATs but I'm thinking about going S/O with 30x9.5 or 31s in the not-too-distant future. This vehicles sees less than 5,000 miles a year (it's a '94 with about 40,000 miles).

I'm mindful of a possibly bent-housing. The Loc-Rite I installed in my last Samurai (with couplers) snapped and banged violently to the point one of the couplers eventually shattered in pieces. From that point forward I just ran it open.

Thank you for your responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 07:26 PM

Re: Difference/preference: EZ Locker vs. Loc-Rite

I have run both lockrights and EZ lockers in several different 4x4's. Lckrights seem to be stronger, and they are the original locker that fitts inside the stock carrier, aka lunch box lockers. I love them in the front, you never notice they are there. In the rear they tend to be somewhat unpredictible. Unlocking and locing sometimes when not expecting it. I think I'm going to run a spool in my new samurai. At least with it locked up full time you learn to expect certain things and can correct for them. In addition, I have found lunch box style lockers to break much more frequently in the rear, then front applications.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 11:28 PM

The first locker I installed was a LockRite. Needless to say it was less than a pleasent experience. It snapped in and out of the lock mode for no appearent reason; even when going down a stright strech of highway. It would throw you all over the road, and the noise it made when doing so was enough to wake the dead. Exit LockRite, enter Detroit EZ. It's been in for about four years now and has preformed flawlessly. It's noisless except for the clicking on low speed tight turns and is 99% invisable. Every once in a great while it will give a little pop, I guess thats to let you know it's still there and working.
As for a spool IMHO thats strictly for off road. Any highway driving, especially in inclment weather, and it gets a bit squrilly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 11:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I've used and installed all three . I prefer the EZ locker over the lockrite in Sami carriers since their teeth engage a bit deeper and more positively into the Sami's side gears . While it really shouldn't make a difference , to me it's just a bonus and they always do seem to work smoother . I currently run a Lock Rite in the front that bangs constantly due to a slightly bent front housing I need to swap out or fix . The rear has a spool from TT and it has been eating the tires a bit , although 22k on this set of TRXus radials and they're only down to 50% on one pair , the other pair is at about 65% since I didn't rotate them quickly enough . The rear does get a bit weird on wet pavement and can be a pain sometimes in the mud since it's wanting to shove the front end straight . Overall I don't regret the spool even with it's inherit problems . Very predictable on the street , although a lot of folks almost run when I do a tight turn in most parking lots , lol .
Sarge
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 01:47 PM

I ran the LockRite 1530 ( with sidegears ) for years with
no problems. Started shattering the sidegears where the axle
slips in. After 2 replacements, went to the 1510 model using
the stock side gears. Blew up the LockRite itself - one
coupler was in 6 pieces. I went to the TT spool for the
rear and will run nothing else, unless I get an ARB for
Xmas or something. The LockRite in the front has always
been flawless.
The spool will push you straight on a turn on snow, ice,
and mud, but just another little compensation in driving.
The predictability and lack of noise makes up for the
shortcomings.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 01:58 PM

It seems the general consenses is that lockrights and stuff work great in the front, but in the rear the predictability of a spool is better and stronger then the lockrights and ez-lockers then.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 03:53 PM
Journeyman

I couldn't actually see a concensus here. The options of daily driver/ off roader / front /rear make too many options.
I've just bought an EZ locker for the rear I have a definite interest. I was told by 2 dealers that the EZ and the Lock Rite are now made by the same company and are identical except for the packaging. I dont want a spool or an ARB and my good Zooky friends advise the EZ/LockRite in the rear for local conditions. I'll just fit and find out.

Steve.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 05:41 PM

My almost daily driver has a spool in the rear. I run
35 lbs of air to lesson the squealing and try to take
corners slowly. The only concern I have is what is happening to the axles. I just like the predictability.
There's no 20 degree slop before everything winds up and
no jumping. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Wow !!! Some great information is being shared here, I think. Hopefully the subject line will make it easy to search for in the future.

I mentioned once that I had a lock-right and like someone here described, it popped and banged constantly ... even going straight ahead. That's what made me think of the bent axle. Mine had the sidegears. How about another poll on who is using the sidegears and who is not?

I've been thinking of the spool since the vehicle doesn't get driven too much on the road but am also concerned about the effects of the spool on the axle, specifically on the drums. A couple people here have said their backing plates were seperating from the axle and they needed to install larger bolts. Any of this sound familiar to anyone?

Several people I know have lockers and none of them are terribly loud -- ever. A little quiet ratcheting is fine, even the occasional bang is okay, but I can't stand constant banging and popping, hence my interest in the spool. I'll probably just end up getting another locker and trying it out and removing it if it's too noisy or jerky. So, with or without sidegears? I was planning on no sidegears.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 07:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Bent housings are commen in lifted sami's they kind of sneak up on you.
If I had to go with a non-arb for the rear I would go with a spool. pridictable and quiet. On my toy axles I sprung for the ARB rear and love it. open diff on the road and push the button and locked, solid.
I run an ez locker in the front. I ran lockrites in the sami axles and they did okay. The axles just where not up to the terrian I was running them in and the 33's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode