difference in gasket quality with pics - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

difference in gasket quality with pics

the nice part about working on domestics is usually there are a lot of choices when it comes to gaskets and engine kits.

the comparison i have is a set of valve cover gaskets for my 93 ford ranger 4.0 v-6. the origional factory ones were prone to leaking and ford quickly came up with an updated gasket to fix the problem. i ran the updated ford ones for well over 125,000 with no leaks ever....not even moist.

well i had to do some engine work and the felpro head set i got came with the crappy cork gaskets...the same style ford quit using because of leak issues. so i went back to the parts store and picked up a nice set of felpro perma-dry valve cover gaskets. these are very similar to the material ford updated to way back when.

the pic shows the felpro standard cork gasket next to the felpro perma-dry. i am a cheap bastard but i have no problem paying extra for a gasket set that doesn't leak...

now why would felpro continue to include a gasket that is known to not work on this particular ford v-6 with the head set??

see the attachment for comparison pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1279442-gasketcompare.JPG (46.9 KB, 94 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Re: difference in gasket quality with pics

thats not all....

also included in the felpro head set is a cardboard lower intake manifold gasket...again same story...

long ago ford made a part update on the lower intake gasket and replaced the failure prone cardboard one with a metal one with rubber edges that lasts. guess what failed on me this winter...a crappy cardboard lower intake gasket.

this time felpro only has the one lower intake gasket available..or at least that is what i was told at the parts store. so i had my buddy that works parts at a ford/toyota dealership get me the ford one.

the pics show the difference in the gaskets. guess what...the metal ford one was cheaper than the crappy cardboard felpro one was.

[img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

see the pic attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1279444-intakegaskets.JPG (58.5 KB, 62 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 07:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I think Ford must try to skip a little on gaskets. Our Tauraus has about 70K on it and we had the gasket on the oil pan replaced 3 times. The last time thhey said there is an improved gasket with reinforced holes. The gaskets all kinda squeezed out. Hope this is the last time. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 07:44 AM
Veteran

Good point. Gaskets and seals are something that I ALWAYS get at the dealer. Had too many problems with aftermarket gaskets failing and seals leaking. Costs more but worth every penny IMHO.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 11:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I've talked to Fel-Pro's tech dept. twice about getting a better valve cover gasket such as that perma-dry material . They don't warrant making a new gasket for something that has that kind of age . I keep telling them we intend to keep the vehicles alive forever ....
Sarge
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

sarge, i know felpro makes some good stuff for domestics but they just suck for imports. perma dry valve cover gasket for a zuk would be awesome.

even the simplest stuff such as gasket material differences are one of the reasons i like to do my own work on my own trucks and research out everything. if i was to have a non-ford garage do the head work they would have used the gaskets that came in the felpro head set and i not only would have valve covers that leak the the exxon valdeez, but the lower intake would have [bleep]-the-sheets in a very short time.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 10:16 PM

I re-build ALOT of Ford (read Foolish Or Ridiculous Design) motors on a daily basis. The one thing I really like about them is thier gaskets. It is about the ONLY thing that impresses me about them! [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode