new found straight pipe performance (long) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

new found straight pipe performance (long)

well on my way to work today, apparently i hit the last set of train tracks too hard (running late for work) and long story short my muffler came off. so driving home from work with straight pipes...and there is a nice noticable power increase - very loud- but better acceleration.

so my question is this- i was already running the 2" exhaust and headers. i was wondering what i can do to achieve this new found performance, and make it a little more bearable to the ears.

at what point does a larger exhaust system start having a negative effect (not enough back pressure) on this wonderful little engine. anything else i might look into?

thanx
michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 01:49 AM

Re: new found straight pipe performance (long)

Don't go over 2", but look at freer flowing mufflers. There are the old favourites, like the Cherry Bomb, or the ricer canister types. Bother are the straight-through silencer type. Still louder than a regular muffler, but you'll still like the power.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 09:08 AM

I drove my rig around for a day without any exhaust except the header. I liked it and thought it sounded good. Not near as loud as I thought it would be. Who needs a muffler? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

There is a negative to too large an exhaust. Not enough backpressure can cause the oxygen sensor to start acting up (like in "no exhaust" like my idiot trick above). Also, for very low, lugging speeds like in rock crawling (400 to 500 rpm's), the more back pressure the better (to a point of course). A larger exhaust helps at high rpm's a lot more than it hurts most people at the low end. I wouldn't go bigger than 2-inch though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 10:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I will go against the norm here, at 2002 melt I put fresh exhaust on the rig so as not to anoy anyone. The week prior was in at the badlands crawling everything. after the muffler was installed I could not lug the truck through anything so back to camp I went and the trusty saw zaw came out and the muffler was removed. the truck would lug throught he rocks again with minimal effort. The key to the 1.3 is put as much in and get it out as quick as possable. I used to think and still do with some motors that a back pressure was good. but i am totaly against it on a zuk motor.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 04:10 PM

I'll admit to never trying sqeeze the exhaust on a Zuk motor myself. I stand corrected then. I can vouch for the improvement gained from eliminating the exhaust completely. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 06:07 PM

Personally I would just run a straight pipe from the ctatlytic converter back. The C.C. asks as a muffler of sorts already. But If you really want a muffler I suggest the Cherry Bomb. IMO they sound awesome on the 1.3/1.6's.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

i havent looked but come to think about it i might not be running with a cat...(flame suit on) i know not a good thing, but never really thought about it until right now. the guy who owned it prior to me made the exhaust that just fell off...so i didnt have the restriction of a cat....one more thing that i need to think about.

thanx for all the info fellas
michael
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 09:28 PM

The Swift guys all know that Suzuki engines hate backpressure.... and don't like cats, either. Weren't designed with them in mind. Almost NO smog laws in Japan, as it all blows over to mainland China!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 11:23 PM
Way Outta Control

Straight pipe, cat only, cherry bombs, glass packs, even "look like glass packs" - too expensive!
When you get caught on Federal land (Forestry, BLM etc,) or some state's lands, you'll find out how much it costs to have the Ranger call a tow service - or helicopter to remove and impound your vehicle. Fines, removal fees, and even the lawyer to keep you out of jail can be very expensive.
Reason - the engine may put out hot sparks or hot chunks of carbon - especially from the CAT. A baffled muffler behind the CAT is the only legal exhaust on those lands.
There are small turbo type mufflers that are OK and don't restrict much. There are some aftermarket mufflers that look like a straight through glass pack, but actually have baffles. But to prove it has baffles, the Ranger has to poke a stick up to feel them - they won't bother.

That's not just bull, I live in one of the most popular rock crawling areas - Johnson Valley CA, home of the Hammer trails - and see vehicles cited and towed frequently for that.
I wasn't cited, but was told by a ranger about my Jeep's new glasspacks. Furtunately I wasn't off road at the time - I was in a coffee shop parking lot!

The old wives tale that you need backpressure is bull!
Can you run constipated?
Why would anyone ever think that leaving old exhaust gasses in the chamber helps it run? If so, why not just pipe the exhaust back into the intake? That's what EGR does - notive how it inhibits performance!

Most any exhaust will tend to scavenge the old gasses to an extent. You want it to scavenge, but not inhibit the flow.
If it runs better without part of the exhaust, you did something wrong in the first place.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 11:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

A couple of tests I've done with these motors has yielded some interesting results . Almost no exhaust , or at least length to it resulted in a burned valve within 3 days . #3 cylinder always runs hotter so it was the first to go . Open straight pipe all the way to the bumper worked out pretty well but sounded like a total cannon at anything over 2k . Good header w/ 2" pipe straight out the back was about the best , but still very loud . Got one comment about a "weed eater on acid" sound . Stuck a 2" turbo muffler on it , gained a bit more in the midrange torque and liveable noise level . Actually , it sounds pretty good . Biggest thing to remember is to re-tune the engine with any major exhaust system change . From one point to the other I had to move almost 8 points in fuel jets to keep the plugs the same color range ...
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode