Swift vs. Samurai Flywheels - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Swift vs. Samurai Flywheels

I took a customers Samurai flywheel to the machine shop to be turned last Monday and dropped off a Swift flywheel for myself as well. The Swift flywheel is flat (no step in it) so I had the machine shop cut the step in it just like a Samurai flywheel so I could use the Samurai Centerforce Dual Friction clutch on the lighter Swift flywheel. There is about a 4 pound difference between the Samurai flywheel and the cut down Swift flywheel. It is my understanding that you gain 3hp at the wheels for every pound that you shave off the flywheel , though I am not sure where I heard that or how accurate it is. So I should see about 12 more horsepower at the wheels and notice it spooling up alot faster when I tap the throttle. Perfect for the upcoming Tough Truck event since I need a fast 0-60 time to beat the guys with the Big Blocks and there is a Chevy S-10 with a huge motor someone is rumored to be building. Hope this lighter flywheel gives me the power I need until I can find a 2.0 liter!

Here are a few pic's of the difference between the flywheels:

Any conscructive criticism regarding the flywheel swap would be appreciated. Anyone out there running the Swift flywheel?

Sean DeVinney
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1278599-zukijump2.jpg (8.3 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 08:41 PM
Alfie

Re: Swift vs. Samurai Flywheels

Sean I found that the swift Gti engine flywheel is heavier than my sammy flywheel. I first thought that a little extra weight would be good. So I bolted up the Gti flywheel, only to find that the bell housing wouldn't bolt up as the Gti wheel is too thick.
I still have the Gti flywheel here and am considering having it lightened a bit so it will fit.
But I am reconsidering the weight question of my flywheel any way, after reading an article about the advantages of a little weight loss there.
Response, engine braking etc.

Alf.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 12:00 AM

I took 1.5lbs off my Sammy flywheel. The stocker weighs 14.5lbs. Night and day difference. Rotational Dynamics crank pulley helped too. Throttle response is so much better and it pulls harder off the corner.

If you have low enough gears, you could take off even more. I'm running a 4.16 case and 4,56's in the axles turni9ng 32" Swamper Radials. I don't think I would take any more off mine.

How high is the static compression in your engine? 1324 or 1298?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 01:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Looks like you had it balanced too , or at least I hope you did . There is a relationship between rotational weight and power . Yes, the engine will spool up faster and also decellerate faster for compression braking . However, there is one drawback . You will lose a bit of "gained torque" . This is the ability of the engine not to be knocked off it's rpm by a load . There will be a noticable difference when engaging the clutch or when you come to a hill or gust of wind . For the application you are building it should work out real well . Just hammer it down , sidestep that clutch , and yer off to the races . BTW, what did they charge you for that cut job ?
Sarge
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 06:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

For go fast it will work "Better" but for low speed crawling you will stall the engine more. as you will be loosing flywheel effect. (you stated that you are using this for a go fast event so it should work fine, I just don't want folks to be surprised
if they do it to a rig that they crawl with and suddenly it starts stalling more when they lug the engine.)

My Ideal flywheel for the 1.3 would be adding wieght to it.
(For offroad crawling) with a man trans that would have really helped. ) Much like trials motorcycles have. (they employ very big flywheels compared to other bikes of the same displacement.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 10:22 AM

out of the several gti engines i have used, all of them were out of auto trans cars so none of them had a flywheel. seems the super weak 3 spd autos don't last long leaving behind some near perfect condion engines.

the miniture flexplates that came on the auto gt engines are about the size of a frisbee and only weigh a couple pounds. if thrown hard enough they will stick into trees....don't ask...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

The flywheel turning typically costs me $30-$40 depending on whether it is a single or double step. They charged me only $65 to cut the step in the Swift flywheel..charged me for 1 hour of labor on the machine.
If 1.5 pounds taken off the flywheel made that much difference for Cooter then 4 pounds should make my Zuk even more of a peppy little rocket! Guess we'll see in a week or so when I get the motor in!

Sean
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 01:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I'm curious to see how it actually works , hard telling really since theory only goes so far . Look at my choice of cams and fuel delivery, lol...
Sarge
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 10:19 AM
Addict

Just a little note, a lighter flywheel will shorten the lifespan of the engine-notably the crank bearings. The flywheel helps to balance out the firing of the cylinders and there is a reason it's a certain weight; it acts as a damper. Plus it helps with torque-that's the reason the Samurai has the heavier flywheel. It makes that little 1300 engine have more low end grunt (at the sacrifice of high end).

VW air cooled gearheads have been using lightened flywheels for the past 40 years. The general consensus among most of those guys is, unless you've got a counterweighted crank and a blueprinted engine, stick with the stock flywheel. Othwerwise, the engine won't last.

Now, I'll admit that the Samurai engine is alot more advanced than the old 1930's design of the VW engine. However, that is one of the things that concerns me with the 2.0 kit and using the Samurai flywheel. Is the flywheel heavy enough and what about the long term? I want to drive this thing on the road and not just trailer it to events.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

I am not too sure about the 2.0 Liter with a lightweight flywheel and it's long term affects, but I am 100% sure that running a stock weight flywheel on a Sidekick 1.6 has no long term affects and it definately frees up alot of HP! There is definately a large weight difference between the 1.6 and 1.3 flywheels. Just by picking them up I would say the 1.3 is at least 10 pounds lighter.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode