axle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

axle

Are stock axle shafts okay for running 33-35" tires....I know beefier diff. are needed.....just not certain whether the actual shaft has a problem or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 06:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: axle

Big dibate, but some have most cant, my 02 from exp. is 33" can be run unlocked no prob. Lock them up and you better be easy on the go pedal or they do snap at the splines
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 07:48 AM

I agree! I run 33x14.5" boggers, lockrite and stock axles and I've wheeled it 4 times and have already bent the housing. I was running the 5.38 gears and it completely chewed up the rear r&p. The sad thing is, I don't wheel it that hard. Just my .02

time to put the dana 44 under the rear [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 02:28 PM

I snapped a rear not even getting on it. It was on rock so there was no slip. Just heard it bear down (you know that growl sound you hear when things are torqeing but nothings giving) and snap. Not a lot of throttle or anything. I run 33 12.5 mastercraft /cooper mud tires, I would think with 35s I could probably snap stock axles in my driveway. I would not recommend running more than 33 s if you do anything other than mud.

My solution to this problem, AMC model 20 rear axle w/ one piece axle shaft conversion. Still waiting to pop a birfield in the front though. Thought about the rings but I hear they just break somewhere else if you put those on and in the end it just makes them harder to change out. So i am just carrying spares for the front.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

How expensive does going to yota axles come out to be. Im thinking about just going hybrid, and getting some stronger shafts from calmini.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 03:23 PM

I haven't done it so I don't know. It depends on what you can find a set for in your area. Or who you know somewhere else w/ a good shipping connection. Most of the $$ is in the axles though, after that it is just time and little stuff like spring perches and stuff. Hybrids are $$$$ may be worth it though I don't know. I started out this game always playing the, "do it as cheap as I can route" and now I am more of a , "pay a little more to not have to deal with it again" kind of guy. All depends on how much $$ you are willing to spend, and what connections you have.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 03:25 PM

Oh yeah, lots of stuff in posts about going t yotas, try searching if you haven't already.
Good Luck.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 05:45 PM

Stock axles really do hold up well with 33's unless you are into hardcore rock crawling. Daily drivers and mudders will hold up. A friend of mine at Zuwharrie ran 38 inch Swampers with open differentials and broke absolutely nothing....rock crawling. Go hybrid and add the Calmini axle shafts and you should have no problem rock crawling with 33's. I run that setup with 35" Boggers and so far no breaky!

Sean
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 07:26 PM

I did some serious rockcrawling on locked, hybrid axles for about three years with beefed up birfields and hub bolts. I didn't break anything either, but I have a REAL light foot.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 12:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Sean's only problem is keeping housings straight on those hard landings , lol . I've broken just about everything at least once and I try to wheel it with some sense since it's my daily driver . 33's are brutal on parts , just too much added weight and torque loads . Shock loads , even small ones are compounded by the sheer size/weight of the tires . Not to mention just 112lbs in the wheel tire combo itself . As far as the Birfield rings , they do their job for sure . I've busted several front axles with no real serious issues . They just blew the inside cage of the joint and wiped out the end splines of the axle is all . Just had to pull them out and swap in a spare , good to go and no big hassles .
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode