ignition problem? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 05:12 PM
slozuki

ignition problem?

I'm wondering if you guys might have any ideas on a little problem I just had on my sammy. I go out after work yesterday jump in and fire it up. after a minute or so of running it just shuts off. hmmmm......jump back in and it cranks great but doesn't even think about starting. I checked to make sure the carb was getting fuel and it was. so I figure it must be a lack of spark. sooo.....a guy I work with gives me a ride home and I get my multi meter and my spare distributor and head back. the coil checked out good so I figure it must be the ignition module inside the distributor. I swap out the disty and still no fire. bummer. so today I called the dreaded tow truck and got it back to the house. I had the tow truck guys drop it in front of the garage in the alley and then I would just use the starter with the tranny in gear to pull it into the garage. as soon as I get in it, it dawns on me that I still haven't removed that little switch in the clutch that keeps the starter from engaging unless the clutch is pushed in. son of a.....then I get this hairbrained idea that maybe if I crank the engine with it in gear and pop the clutch in and out that maybe it might catch and pull me into the garage? lol, but it worked. and then some. after a couple of clutch pops and jerks the darn thing fired up and purred like a kitten. what the? possibly loose or dirty grounds? are the ignition modules known to be intermittent? any ideas or prior experience would be greatly appreciated. sorry about the book, hope I didn't put anyone to sleep. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 07:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: ignition problem?

Try sticking a screwdriver in the primary on the carb. Make sure the tool is big and won't fall, then floor the Zuk and keep it floored and crank it over. If that doens't work then change out the spark plugs, you might have a bad one?
That is what I did when mine did the same thing. I'm not good at ignition problems, but most of mine have been due to carb issues. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 08:21 PM
slozuki

thanks zukjr, I did pull the plugs earlier tonight and they all looked excellent. it could be a carb issue like you mentioned. I fired it up after supper and let it get hot, as soon as I let out the clutch to back up it popped a little, died, and would not restart. didn't even hint at trying to fire. I'll should have time this weekend to really dig into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 12:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Replace/repair/clean the ground wire at the distributor . The problem you've described is a classic ground problem . The reason it's trying to run when you mess with the clutch is due to no grounds on the engine , instead it's trying to use the clutch cable . Also, the large ground wire at the starter should be cleaned up or replaced as well . These aluminum engines don't conduct a ground very well , hence all the problems . Not a bad idea to run a good heavy wire and use toothed lock washers from the distributor housing back to the ground side of the battery as well .
Sarge
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 02:02 AM

Sound like i had the similar problem. Except I finally had to pull the head off.... found two bent valves. Replaced it..... Now.. its running smoothly.

Im not saying you got this problem but... doesnt hurt to check.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 07:54 AM

I recently had a problem with my Zuk starting when ever it felt like it. My problem was I had a wire that some how had all the plastic cover ripped off and when the wire got a little damp it shorted out. Come to find out, the wire ran straight into my iginition which was keep the Zuk from starting. Took me awhile to figure it out because everything else worked fine. Hope this helps!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 08:24 AM

Clean or replace the grounds to the dis. like Sarge said, before you go crazy lookin at other stuff. I had the same thing happen to me a month ago.It was the big green conector for the dis.,I just by-passed it .
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 12:25 PM
SPAMurai

I suggest checking ALL grounds, not just the distributer...

Steve O'
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 02:49 PM
slozuki

well, I got some time last night and checked out the grounds. the one for the distributor was especially nasty. it was crusty at the firewall and inside that little quick disconnect type wire connector thats on the ground wire itself. I made a new ground wire as the old one was trash in my opinion. polished everything else to high sheen and reinstalled. hit the key and......still no start. cranks like crazy though. lol. thanks to all that posted, I appreciate it. looks like I'm gonna have to get serious with this thing now. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 12:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

There is also the one at the starter , one on the intake by the thermostat , and a couple that go to the body . Sounds like you've lost most of them . There is also a cluster of them under the dash at the column mount , the firewall has a couple , and especially the left kick panel .
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode