Sweet! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Sweet!

Well after all the talk about not having a garage, we took the first step.

I just found out today that my mortgage refinancing has been approved. Lowered our interest rate to 4.9%, with a 1.9% for 6 months promo, and we are taking out an extra $60,000 for some pretty major home impovements.

New roof, new siding, new windows, and most of all - A new garage. Not just any garage, my garage. Built my way, to fit my stuff, and my tools, and half a dozen zuks!

I have way too many unfinished projects as it is, so this time everything will be contracted out. I want to have a very active roll in design, but I want absolutely no part of the construction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Sweet!

Congrats , just what we all need . I think I'm gonna have to get at least 2 winning Lottery tickets to build mine .
Sarge
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 11:23 AM
Can't Get Enough

thats cool man!!! im glad to hear you got a mortgage rate as good as mine!!

so tell me..what size garage are you lookin at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 07:15 PM

If you can swing it , get heated floors ... you will love it especially in the cold winters you have up there . My ex had heated floors in her garage in Pa .... man I miss that garage ! lol

Congrats on building your garage ... I wish I was ready to start mine ...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 08:35 AM
Can't Get Enough

Thats great! If you have any $$ left over, send it my way. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I really need a good garage. I have a 1-car shed with gravel floor. We just started remodelling our kitchen.... man, for what I'm spending on that project, I could have a fantastic garage! [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Gotta keep the wife happy. (if Momma ain't happy ... ain't nobody happy!)
Oh well, maybe next year....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
so tell me..what size garage are you lookin at?

[/ QUOTE ]

Huge. As big as possible. I really want to set this up right. I have plenty of room on that side of the house, so that won't be an issue. So far my wish list includes...

1. Small bathroom in the corner (drives the wife nuts when I run into the house all covered in grease to take a leak)

2. At least two 220v outlets, for the welder etc

3. Some type of exhaust fan set up, for welding, paint spraying, etc

4. Plenty of shelving and racks for equipment, tools, &amp; parts

5. Large compressor, with airlines run around the garage

6. Extra tall garage doors [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

7. Heated floors would definately be nice. Only once have I wrenched on a heated floor, and I agree, it's very, very nice!

Anything else I should consider?

Has anyone else built a dream garage, then 6 months down the road though "I wish I would have..."?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 11:42 AM

Anything else I should consider?

Has anyone else built a dream garage, then 6 months down the road though "I wish I would have..."?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you have it all pretty much figured out. The only things I would add is a good floor drain (grid type) to capture all the water and slush during winter months, and if you're installing an exhaust system make sure you allow for a motorized fresh-air intake duct to bring in outside air when it's in use. This is especially important if you will be using gas heat in the shop. You don't want the exhaust fan to create a negative pressure in the shop and have the furnace or boiler fumes coming back down the flue.

And I can't stress enough as the others stated - get radiant floor heat if you can swing it. It's the only way to go.

Good luck and keep us posted. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Good call on the drain. That's definately something to add.

With the exhaust fan set up, should I just put a larger intake fan on one side of the shop, then a smaller exhaust fan on the other?

I'm also considering dividing the garage in half, keeping the side closest to the house for the wife to park her vehicle in the winter, then the other side as a shop (filled with "boy dirt", as the wife so affectionally calls it)

Dividing the shop would make it easier to vent for painting, welding etc. It would also keep the "boy dirt" away from the wife's vehicle, and out of the house. Also having an additional wall between the shop and the house would keep the noise down : grinding, banging, occasional profanity (#@$&amp; brake drum!)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 02:19 PM

depending on your local laws and regulations you could have the garage floor slanted towards the floor drain so you can wash your cars at home in the winter.

this would also be nice if you are planning on painting cars too. shops create a ton of dust and crap which must be removed from the painting area and it would be really simple to just hose it all out.

i have a friend that also has cold A/C in his garage to get him through the huge 3 whole months of summer here. personally i have a natural gas furnace in my garage but can't use it except for emergency repairs in the dead of winter because my garage is not insulated and costs a lot to run.

make sure you get a small fridge, water cooler, and cheap microwave too. you could even buy an old bomber stove and use the oven to do your own powder coating.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

small fridge, water cooler, and cheap microwave

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a mini fridge, and I really like the idea of a water cooler, especially for the summer months. Finding a microwave shouldn't be tough.

I can live without the AC. Heat doesn't bother me at all, cold does. Worst case senario, I could put a window air conditioner in.

Still not sure what to do about heat. I want a completely seperate system, not tied to the house system, but I want something effecient and safe enough to run all winter. It would be nice to keep the temp at 50 degrees all winter, and at 65 when I'm out there wrenching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode