Rant: Whining Cheap Bastards! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Rant: Whining Cheap Bastards!

After reading quite a few posts this morning about vendors overcharging for parts or shipping, I thought I would write this to help others understand:

I can tell most of you are not self-employed. How do you think you employer pays your wages? When I work on a client's vehicle, I have to charge $1.08 per minute or $65 per hour and work for free while invoicing or billing(no charge for paperwork!).

Things like computers, paper, packing supplies, software, electricity, rent, tools, insurance, advertising/web sites, EPA licensing, taxes, and employee's wages(vacation, holiday pay, and health insurance) cost money. They are all needed to opperate a business(costs of doing business). It is only after all of these are paid that the owner gets paid.

If I spend 1 hour driving to the post office and waiting in line to ship something out, I loose money because I could have made another $65 in that time! Not only did I loose $65, I loose the little profit I would have made on the product. I have to sell at a low price or loose the sale all together. This is why UPS picks up at my shop!

I don't mean to rant, but this is a soft spot for me right now because I just finished my year-end analysis. I got to keep less than %30 of my gross sales. Then I have to pay income taxes on that!

Can someone remind me why I started a business?

Just think about this when you buy quality products from our Suzuki specific vendors or anyone for that matter. If they don't at least make a few bucks after the bills are paid, there won't be any products to buy sooner or later!

If you want or need my service, you must pay for it.

Most of us can't work for free!

So, the next time you guys bitch about the shipping or what a product costs, think about how much time it would take to drive there and get it or make it yourself!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 04:04 PM

Re: Rant: Whining Cheap Bastards!

Very well said Crazycooter. One thing to remember is that most all aftermarket Suzuki stuff is already generally cheaper than for other trucks. Most Samurai owners have very little invested on a whole than anyone else on the trail. We really have it pretty good.

But alas, everyone knows that Samurai owners are cheap (not criticism, just an observation).

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

I too am always looking for a deal, but I still believe that a man's time is worth something.

My Nomex suit is on, so let's have it! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 04:25 PM
shoezuki

Crazycooter,

That is what makes this board (and this Country) great: The right to the freedom of speech.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 04:43 PM

preach on brother

thats why most of the time i dont make it until i pre-sell it

nothing like spending several hrs on a custom part and then they back out or it sets on the shelf because people think it too much money

it has been stated before zuk people are cheap

thought about getting a rust out heep just for a model
because heepers will pay more money

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 04:54 PM

yeap freedom of speach

just ask the dixie chicks about it

everybody burned their stuff and the local 2 radio station have banned thier playing due to all the complaints
from the pubic
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

GA ZUKI, I didn't know you made Zuk parts! You are now added to my Zuk favorites folder.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 05:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

CrazyCooter:

This, unfortunately, is an important reason why there will not be a ZookiMelt 2003 video from me.

I came close to breaking even the first year. The second year, production costs left me in the hole.

This year, I was excited and motivated at the Melt. Then the thought of losing more money this year added on to the other, more important, problems I had solve in my family life killed the project completely. I like making the video and I like the idea that folks can see action and events that they missed during the three days we call ZookiMelt. I don't like throwing 2-3000 bucks down the crapper for the experience.

People gotta understand that, whether it be bumpers, adapter flanges or videos, the price of the product has to do more than just cover the cost of manufacturing the product or there won't be a product.

PS: I am still open to handing the entire project over to someone who wants to complete my work (90% done) or create their own version. I have all the video on tape along with captured video on a hard disk. The only charge will be for the media that it is all on.

If interested, email me at [email protected]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 08:23 PM

At this stage of my life there are 2 things I think should be mandatory:

<font color="red"> Be self-employed for 2 years.

Serve in the military for 2 years.</font color>

If everyone had to do this there'd be a lot less bitching and a lot more respect.

Self-employed for 16 years and have heard all the smack. Still hanging on...

Was 18 in 1975...not the best of times to enlist. After seeing the positive changes in my Air Force son I wish I would have anyway.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 08:40 PM

GA Zuki, where is your shop located at. I would like to come by and check you out sometime. I'm in Villa Rica.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode