Tales of JB Weld - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 08:36 PM
arizuki86335

Tales of JB Weld

Well, I have been reading (with GREAT interest) the topic on the "Mystery Shifter Problem." There is a lot to be learned from this topic, not the least of which is yet another testimony to JB Weld.

Here, for example, is one of the quotes from the shifter topic:

"one thing you can look into doing, is JB weld..
JB weld things up and re tap new threads for the bolt,
fix your shifter? I have heard about many things being fixed with that stuff, i have used it on a bunch of things also..pretty tuff stuff, and a cheap fix. as for how long it will last, don't know."

So, I got to thinking, what with it being New Year's and all, that maybe it would be a good idea to bring up an
Ode to JB Weld. Kinda in the "jolly good fella" spirit.

For my part, I just fixed the muffler on our 88.5 with Good Ol' JB. I recently fix the inscrutable Zuki broken plastic door handle, too. I've used it to beef up my battery bracket. I've been wondering how well it would work on a radiator repair. These days, I wonder a lot about JB Weld.

Well, it's your turn. What's your story?
What's the wildest, weirdest, whackiest thing you've ever done with JB Weld?
(No XXX stories, PLEASE!)

Viva Jay Bee!

Happy New Year!

John P.
Rimrock, AZ

PS--I was hanging out in a junkyard yesterday, long story.
Anyway, I saw two of the strangest applications of JB Weld on two different engines than I've ever seen before. It kinda looked like the rest of the car fell apart before the JB Weld failed.

I stopped and stared for a long time at those weird gloppy patches. Somebody had to be drinking a LOT of beer to think that JB Weld could have solved whatever their problem was. Oh, well, it looked good to them I suppose.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 10:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Ode to JB Weld

The strangest thing I've ever done w/JB Weld? How about making it into a ball , milling it down in a lathe, and firing it out of a homemade pipe rifle with 1/2 cup of Pyrodex . Well, the barrel didn't work out so well as it opened up like a banana , but the homemade slug went completely through a telephone pole .....not sure where it went after that though ?? I have also seen my share of strange uses and patches with it , I do know it works very well on rusted out cast iron sewer pipe , the type no one even plumbers like to work with as it's about 300lbs per 10' . That was 5 years ago , still holding strong...
Sarge
Sarge
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 11:01 PM

I fixed a HUGE hole in a Samurai fender with about 4 tubes of that stuff. I'd put a bead on, let it dry then put another bead on it. When I was through I used a cheese grater to shape the curve. After that I sanded and painted it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 11:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I used it to patch a hole in my racecar transmission case caused by blowing a cv joint to pieces. I cut down a 3/8th bolt applied some JB and threaded it in. It looked stock when I was done.

In highschool I used it to securely fasten change to the Shop-bus floor and a few other places during that particular tube.

Other than that, I've never really used it.

On a side note, isn't Suzuki-bond or Honda-bond the same stuff?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 08:16 AM
Trento

JB is great stuff! Use it alot.. Here are a couple of recent applications on my rigs:
1. repaired a raditor bracket weld which broke on my 87 samurai
2. reparied the rear hatch latch on my 93 Cherokee
3. filled and re-tapped stripped roof rack attachment points also on the 93 Cherokee

For those of us without welding equipment, it's a must have item in the old toolbox.

On a side note, anyone on the board near Reading PA have welding equipment, I need some welding on the chassis of the 89 I'm working on. Willing to pay or trade parts from 87 donor for some welding. [email protected]

Later! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

87 samurai softop rustbucket (was daily driver, now donor)
89 samurai softop in the works
93 cherokee daily driver
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 09:04 AM

There AIN'T enough room on this Bord for me to tell about all the things I've fixed with JB. It's so bad that it's gotten to be the family joke . Every time something brakes every body hollers "GET THE JB WELD"
~A Small sampling~
My Billfold (Put a key latch on it)
Radiator on a amc Eagle
Fixed lots of things on the 18 wheeler I drive
1/2 my Zuk is JB'd
Every thing from a whole in my carb to body work
Hole in a automatic transmission case
A automatic coffee Maker
My Computer desk
brake"s on my Zuk
It's gotten so bad I thought about fixing a loose Filling in my TOOTH [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Only thing I recommend is Rough it up witha grinder , sand paper or a file and clean things VERY well before using.
Brake clean or carb cleaner for greasy stuff.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 10:05 AM
arizuki86335

Awesome, Larry!

Larry says,

"It's gotten so bad I thought about fixing a loose Filling in my TOOTH ."

Now THIS is great! I woulda NEVER tought about using it for a filling. But ya know, the idea kinda makes sense.
Do you know how hard it is going to be NOT to think of using it on my teeth now, Larry? Impossible. I am gonna be walking around for days wondering about that. DAYS!

Awesome stuff!

j
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 05:19 PM

Re: Awesome, Larry!

Well back in the day I had an IH truck and my battery broke the bungie cord hold'n her on and fell on one of the valve covers resulting in it burning a 3 inch hole in it. Worked fine for six months tell the tranny went and I sold it.....reckon if that truck's still around it's probly hold'n

lundy
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 09:23 PM

Larry states:Only thing I recommend is Rough it up witha grinder , sand paper or a file and clean things VERY well before using. Brake clean or carb cleaner for greasy stuff.
Think about THAT if you want to use it for a filling!!! [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 09:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

shawn,

are you the guy i sold parts to or are you a new guy from east tn. I live in bristol.

About the jb weld, it didnt hold to well when i tried pluggin a spare water hole in my new offy intakes water neck. Thats the only time its failed me.

My favorite use would have to be a friends oil pan. He hit a cinder block that was strategically placed in a pile of leaves on a curbside. It held for the rest of the year or so he had that car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode