Mystery Shifter Problem - With Pics! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Mystery Shifter Problem - With Pics!

Hey! Merry Christmas, all. Got a digicam under the tree, so I can actually post pics of the shifter weirdness that beset me the other day. I always new the shift locator pin was shot, and that I had a pretty "wobbly" shifter (about 4 inches of play all around when in gear). Christmas day however, something let go entirely, and the shifter now travels about a foot in any direction when in gear - not ideal, and hard to find any gears. Is this still the fricken pin, or has something else gone? Ideas? And if it is the pin, get the ebay teflon pin, OEM, or is there a ghetto fab solution?

Thanks and best wishes for the holidays!

Extremem one way:

Extreme the other way:

Bonus pic of my Sami in all its rhino-lined glory:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 09:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Mystery Shifter Problem - With Pics!

I would say more than the pin. Mine was completly broken off and had no where near the play you have. May be time to pull the shifter and have a look. Jim
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 09:26 PM

Just the pin, I would get in there asap and find it before it falls into your transmission. SERIOUSLY.

Long before I found this board and heard about the pin, my shifter was doing the same thing till one day it was stuck in 3rd gear, we were able to fish out that pin.

what happened is the pin broke at the threads and was working its way back and fourth in the housing makeing a very nice groove, you will find what I am talking about when you take the shifter housing out and look at it where the shifter stick is supposed to sit on the pin.

if you are lucky it is only a shallow groove like what happend to mine, I just got a new pin and it's been working fine since then.

it should only take you a couple of minutes to get that housing out.

clean it, inspect it, and re-grease the springs and stuff.

if you have any questions, I will try to keep an eye on the board. or you can PM me,

just to let you know I will be back off leave friday and will not be able to respond to you after the 1st of Jan for a while.

hope this helps out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 11:40 PM

this is probaly what your gonna find when you pull the shifter out. this was caused by a bolt braking at the threads
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1236960-shifter.jpg (26.8 KB, 103 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks very much for the replies. Glad to hear its just that pin, and rich_d, I'll pull the shifter tomorrow and fish out some pieces, to avoid the fall-into-tranny scenario you outlined - thanks a tonne for the warning/tip. Then I'll put the shifter back in and drive it floppy-style 'till I can get a replacement - more pics to follow tomorrow.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 11:18 AM
zeuski

Check your plastic bushing on the shifter when u pull it..it might need replaced also. My shifter behaved identical to yours, and the bushing was in 4 or 5 pieces.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 12:15 PM

If the slot looks like the one in my picture a new bolt will not completly fix the sloppy action of the shifter. also the new bolt will wear out faster too. I believe Sarge has worked out a mod to the shifter housing to fix alot of these problems. He adds a second bolt on the oppisite side and cuts a new groove into the shifter.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Well, looks like I need a new shifter housing. Took the shifter apart, and the bolt is fine - looks new from the prior owner. Unfortunately, the threads of the housing appear to be stripped and gone, because the bolt won't reliably thread in. So - I put it all back together with the bolt in there (see how long it stays seated), and I'll get ahold of sarge to investigate the new&improved version. Thanks a tonne for your help, FryerTuk, rich_d, 87zuke, and zueski.

Other notes: the shifter is damaged as pictured in your attachment, fryertuk. See my pic below.

Zueski - my bushing is in good shape. Its orange, looks fresh.

So... the pics - got too close, so they're blurry:

Shifter looks just like yours, fryertuk...

Bolt is fine...

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 07:37 PM

yeah ithe shifter i took the pic of last night has the threads stripped in it too, the bolt is fine. if the bushing is orange then it is probably a polyurethane bushing. you shouldn't ever havre to worry about it. I had one shifter wear the previous owner had replaced the bolt with a regular bolt. it had really wore out the slot on it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 08:40 PM

Completely useless reply:

I didn't look at your location until AFTER I saw the cup of Timmy Ho's on your hood!

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode