brake question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

brake question

Will 89 tracker ft calipers fit a 88 samurai?
Thanks
Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 10:52 PM
Journeyman

Re: brake question

Yup, sure do. Just like this:

Mine are off a 4-door Vitara (Tracker/Sidekick), as these have a larger piston diameter than the two door, considerably larger pads, and they use a vented disk.

You have to trim the dust shield a bit to fit them, nothing major. You will also need longer brake lines even at stock ride height as the banjo is in a different place. I put the left caliper on the right side and vice versa, as it gives the longer line a nice 'S' shape to take up the suspension movement and keep it from rubbing.

One minor drawback is that the bleed nipple is not at the top of the piston when mounted on a zook, as the Vitara has the caliper behind the wheel, while the Sammi is on top. All this means you have to unbolt the caliper and turn it upright to bleed the brakes.

I wouldn't bother replacing your Sammi fronts with two door calipers, as they aren't much different. I would replace them with 4-door calipers and disks, especially if you are going to use your old fronts for a rear disk setup like I did.

Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1230029-front caliper.JPG (88.7 KB, 7 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 01:48 PM
Journeyman

Nice job ben. What did you do about a hand brake? Or do you bother with a WOF?

Steve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 01:54 PM
pugrocker

Is the braking performance increased with that setup?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 02:23 PM

Ben, except for the bleeading issue (minor) I like that. [img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]

Those calipers, or even the 2 door calipers, would be a better fit tor the rears than the stock sami calipers.
then the bleeding problems would go away.

I tow my small tent trailer alot, so hopfully the US trackers used the same brakes. What years did you use?

[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 07:58 PM

Pug, the 4-door calipers and rotors do work great on the front of the Sammy and mine stops on a dime (so to speak). It is definately a low buck upgrade that is well worth it for the increase in stopping power.

Nowhere, the kick 2-door caliper work perfectly in the rear of a Sammy with the disc brake setup and the bleeder is in the perfect spot for bleeding them.

Sean DeVinney
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 10:54 PM
Journeyman

Hey Steve, welcome to another NZ'er!!

I've got a transfer case hand brake, so that was no worries. Alfie, (who lives in Lower Hutt) used Subaru calipers to get the handbrake.
I haven't got a warrant with the rear disks yet, or got them certified. I'll wait till next time to see if they pick them up and get a cert then. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The difference in braking performance was huge, but I put biggger fronts on, rear disks, and the Subaru master cylinder all at the same time.
I got so sick of my drums filling up with mud and wearing out/not working, and the spongy pedal before the swap. After the swap, there are no issues with wear, and the pedal is rock hard, but at the same time requires little leg effort to lock-em-up.
I still really need a bias valve too, as there is a bit much braking in the rear.

Outlaw, thats a very good point, the two door ones would be good for the back because of the bleed nipple location. However the reason I put the 4-doors on the front was so I could use the old fronts on the rear, and try to keep my brake bias within spec.

I think the ultimate would probably be 4-door calipers & disk on the front, and GTI swift disks on the rear. The swift calipers have a nice wee piston that would probably mean you wouldn't need a bias valve, and I'm pretty sure they also have a handbrake built in.

Here's a pic comparing the 4 door calipers & pads to my zook ones.

Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1230628-caliper and pad comparison.JPG (71.4 KB, 11 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 11:03 PM
Journeyman

Sorry outlaw, missed one of your Q's

I'm not sure what year mine came off. I was actually going round to a guys house to get his two door calipers as I couldn't find any 4-doors for a reasonable price. As it turned out, one of the two door calipers was missing, but while we were searching for it we found two 4-door disks and one caliper in the back with all the other junk. Then I just had to buy one caliper from a wrecking yard.

On the upside... I'm certain they are all the same right through, except the V6. This has even bigger disks, but they won't fit inside a 15" wheel, and it looked like the caliper mounting was different. I can't confirm tho, so it might be OK with 16" wheels.....

Ben
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 01:47 AM

Is there really any difference between Sidekick/Vitara/Tracker 2 door and 4 door calipers? The picture there looks EXACTLY like the ones on my 2 door, as do the pads.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 02:08 AM
Journeyman

There certainly is a diference, at least on all the ones I've seen.
The two door does look _similar_ to the 4-door, but get them side by side and the difference clear. The two door pads are very similar in size to the 4-door.

Are your disks vented? This is the biggest and most obvious difference between the two.

The 4-door caliper is wider to allow for the thicker disk.

Put the 4-door caliper on the non vented disk and your pads will fall out when they wear thin [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img].

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode