HVLP Spray Guns? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

HVLP Spray Guns?

Does anyone have any practical advice about these type of spray guns? I'm in the market for a gun and I see these all over.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 08:30 AM

Re: HVLP Spray Guns?

Crow,
My advice would be to use a HVLP Gravity fed paint gun. There are some really good quality guns out there for a decent price[$300]. The gun I use everyday is made by Anest IWATA, I have also used WALCOM guns in the past with great results. Before you buy one, what type of coating or coatings are you planning on using it for? Clearcoats, basecoats, primers etc??

For Primers or other viscous liquids, you should use atleast a 1.6mm tip and nozzle and anything up to 2.0mm [depending on application]

For Clears and bases, you should use 1.2mm - 1.6mm tip and nozzle.

I hope I helped.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

You certainly have helped!!!!

I believe I will be using acrylic enamel, Dupont Centari I believe. I'm not looking for show quality, but I'll shoot for the best I can afford on a limited budget. I'm going to get some books and read up on painting. At this point, it seems very involved, but I'm determined to learn.....

My long term goal is to shoot the entire rig, but it will have to be done panel by panel.....

$300 is out of my price range now. Would less expensive models be adequite for my needs?

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 09:33 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
$300 is out of my price range now. Would less expensive models be adequite for my needs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there are less expensive guns out there that will do the job but, they just don't have the longevity of the more expensive guns. The rubber seals and gaskets inside the gun are not made of high quality polyurethane and after some time, the solvents in the paint and the solvents used to clean the gun will eat away at them. Just clean and oil the gun after each and every use. You may want to pick up another tip and nozzle set so that you would have one for primers and one for bases,clears and acyrlic enamel. Since you said you were gonna use an acrylic enamel paint, I would reccomend getting atleast a 1.3 tip and nozzle. There is alot online as far as painting tips and techniques. I have some saved somewhere. I'll try to post back again this afternoon.

Are you doing a color change?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Are you doing a color change?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. I'm staying with the same color........
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 09:47 AM

I'm not looking for show quality, but I'll shoot for the best I can afford on a limited budget.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are just introducing a new Urethane SingleStage Paint, similar to Duponts Nason line. If you're interested, I can send you one of the 2 colors we have so far [only black and white at this point]. I will be matching all of the colors offered by Nason, only as time permits tho. But like I said, If ur interested, I could have a gallon shipped to you for "Evaluation" purposes. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Its called single stage b/c its a polyurethane based on the same technology as the urethane clearcoats, we just elimated the 2 part process of base coating the vehicle, then clearcoating the vehicle. This is product is high in quality and pretty easy to use.

Mix ratio:
4 parts single stage PAINT
1 part Activator

Just let me know if ur interested.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 10:24 AM
Veteran

Hi Nolan,
If you need some evaluation in the arctic, on how well your paint holds up for extended periods of sub-zero weather, I could use a gallon of Black. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 10:31 AM
Can't Get Enough

Crow,

Ive used Iwata and Sata guns...both are very nice. but for what your looking for, go out and buy a Porter Cable HVLP gun from Lowe's. They are about $96 and are actually a pretty nice gun for the money. I didnt have a problem with seals or anything when i painted my zuk.

too bad your not closer....id just let you borrow my gun...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 09:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Here is how I see it . HVLP's are nice , but more expensive and do require a bit more "finesse" . One thing to consider is whether or not you have adequate means of ventilation for and air type gun , if not an HVLP is the way to go . Problem with them is cost , you do get what you pay for although a lightly used cheap one should suffice for more than you would need in the long run . Just gotta take care of it , as others have said keep oiled and clean , or it won't last . Concentrate on dust control first and foremost , surface prep and proper mixing follow in suit . Research the type of paint you are considering , some of the newer types of poly's ect. will take scratching better than the old style enamels , acrylics are very hard but do not flex well if pushed . Look for the highest durability with good flex quality , you can't go wrong ....
Sarge
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Most certainly I'm interested! I will be painting my diamond plate black again and this sounds like the ticket!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode