Perches - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Perches

Looking to do a spring over soon and i am fabbing up my own perches.I am looking to get the minumum height from this lift since i am just going to be running 29 inch tires.My question is what is the minimum height from the top of my perch to the top of the housing i can use.

Also is there something different about the passenger side perch ?

I know i can can get them from Breeze but the millright at the mill said he can make some with the plasma cutter from some 2x3x6 1/4 inch tubing for free .

Thanks
Steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 02:14 PM

Re: Perches

I havent had the springs off mine yet, but whatever the sping bolt head height is, is the minimum height
from axle housing to the spring mounting surface. I'd hazzard a guess at 3/8"? Have him cut them longish.
I think the Breeze units are about 6" or so. Also add a bracing plate from the old perch to the new.

When welding them on, keep in mind the sami tubes are only about 1.8 thick or so. keep the heat concentrated
on the perch, not the tube, unless you pre heat the perch. If you do, treat it like your welding 1/8 as far as
welder heat controls. Bottom line, get good penetration, but dont overheat the tubes.

I think the front pass perch needs 2 different Dia holes. look at your axle.

Going minimum height is good, you are less liable to have as much spring wrap since there will be less leverage.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 02:40 PM

I do not know the diameter off hand, but the front passenger side axle housing diameter is smaller than the other three.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 03:06 PM

I believe thats larger.

I made my own by taking 2x4 square tube, cutting a whole in the middle (whatever size the Sami axle is, 2 3/4 or something like that??) and then cutting the tube in half to get 2 perches. Very simple, minimum height
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 03:55 PM
Pooh-Bah

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
My question is what is the minimum height from the top of my perch to the top of the housing i can use.

[/ QUOTE ]

the minimum height, would be the amout of space you would need to clear the spring holding pin.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

Couple more questions though.

If i leave just enough height on the top of my perch for the spring pin to fit, will the leaf springs hit the track bar in front of the housing when under compression ?

Also since i am going minimum height should i bother to tilt the housing for the pinion angle or am i better off leaving it at the same level as it is now ?

Steven

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1229461-Steering arm.jpg (88.7 KB, 33 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 10:27 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Also since i am going minimum height should i bother to tilt the housing for the pinion angle or am i better off leaving it at the same
level as it is now ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are changing to a Toy CV or similar, keep the pinion angle in the rear.

The front needs to maintain castor angle, so plan for 0 deg change and check the castor for 3-4 deg after
you are done.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 01:50 PM
muddy_duck

i USED A 2 1/2 INCH HOLE SAW FOR ALL AND A 3 INCH HOLE SAW FOR THE OTHER AND THEN SOME 3/8 FLAT BAR TO TIE INTO THE STOCK PERCH. DON'T FOR GET YOU SHOULD LENTHEN YOUR BRAKE LINES AND CHANGE YOUR SHOCKS AND OR MOUNTS AND YOUR STEARING MAY NEED TO BE MODIFICATION
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode