engine upgrade - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

engine upgrade

What are the possible engines to be used for the sammi? I dont think I could do it myself, but I'de like to get a V6 or V8...but ide have to have someone else put it in most likely.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 09:13 AM

Re: engine upgrade

All depends on personnal benefit, as in saying, what do you want? I've been down the engine hopping road, and my yellow zuk has taken me from stock, to 16v, to ford 302. Other than that I have done a miata swap, and chebbie 305 before. Out of all the swaps I have done I wish I would have stuck with the 16v, but because of my need to be different ( and boredum), I upgraded to a ford 302. First off, after thinking back and marking on how much labor it was, I would believe the price in labor for someone to do it would be quite high, then again I have done all the work myself, never paid anybody to do it. If your dead set on v6 or v8, the first thing to do is make up your mind, those 2 extra pistons make a hell of a fitting difference. However, if you do decide on a v8, I can give you all the dimensions and size to calculate what you can expect and even to making your own motor mounts. The biggest part to doing a swap is getting out in the garage and working on it, I say you get a buddy and some beer...make that a lotta lotta beer, and you tackle the option, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me, I damn sure wish I would have been able to ask some back when I did it [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] Lightnning conversions my a$$!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

So you liked the 1.6 better than your 302 right now? I thought about the 1.6...it just doesnt seem that it would have too much more power than the 1.3....but I dont know myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 11:19 AM

the 1600 8v is kinda a weak dog...rods and power, but the 1600 16v (which is the one studly's talking about) is supposed to have quite a bit more power.

for v-6 swaps, i have seen one with a ford 2.8 and c-4 auto utilizing a v-8 c4 rear housing and tail shaft to keep it really short. lots of people put chevy 4.3s in theirs too.

i attached a pic of a 2.0 in a zuk. it looks like a really clean job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1228992-2.0insammy.jpg (40.6 KB, 63 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 12:13 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
So you liked the 1.6 better than your 302 right now? I thought about the 1.6...it just doesnt seem that it would have too much more power than the 1.3....but I dont know myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was quotting thinking more along the lines of simplicity. the 302 was a little hectic, but I pulled it off in 2 weeks. Overall, I love it, the power is monstrous and the attention it gets is even better. It did weight it down a fair bit more, but seeing by recent trips it hasnt lowered its ability by any. Once you start you never stop, that engine you see there spun timming and reworked the heads, so a couple days ago I went and instead of simply buying a 302 replacement I got a 89 mustang roller motor. Its all fun tho, kinda neat how I now can make the passenger break the lumbar support in the seat [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 12:32 PM
GRW

I can't say on the V6-V8 in a sami, but I put one in my old FJ40. It was fun, fast, and all that. But it was hard on drive train at the same time. I loved that V8 in the deep snow [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
I spent alot of time under it fixing the "week links" after I installed the V8 (my wife learned to hate it).
Now as far as sami's go I have a 16V in my SWB and I love it. The other option I was thinking about was a VW TD.
Good gearing can make a world of differance also.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 02:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I didn't go big, I just stuck a 1.6 8v that ran well when pulled from the Kick. I'm very pleased with the results even though it only added about 20-25 hp BUT that's a 30% increase, nothing to sneeze at!.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I guess anything is possible... it's what YOU want. I like sticking with simplicity and function. I am going with the 1.6 8v because it was inexpensive and ran great. I'm not worried about power because I'll be geared low. If I were to go outside of suzuki motors I'd probably go all Toyota (engine, tranny, &amp; tcases).

Most likely though I'll always stick with suzuki FI motors only because you could pull it and put one in to replace it it a short amount of time and I like the tranferablity of parts.

Plus I (alone) can move a 1.6 long-block around the shop with ease, without a hoist or tools or anything. Studly's not doing that with a 302 easily! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 04:25 PM

Check out Sean's website

http://www.aftermarket4x4.com

Sean did the 1.6L 8v conversion for me, and I was extremely please with the performance of the engine. Sean was very helpful throughout the whole process, and even emailed me pics to show me each stage of the conversion.

I live in NJ (which is about 5 hours away from Chesapeake VA where Sean is located). I will be doing another one soon, and you can bet I will be driving back down.

Not only is Sean a cool guy who knows his way around a Zuk, he also gives a lot back to the sport and to the Zuk events.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 05:29 PM

That 2.0L conversion is clean enough to eat off of !!! Just think, you could have an auto with it, too. I see a clutch cable poking out of the firewall on this particular vehicle, though. How about that auto? Would it fit or be too long?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode