LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 05:07 PM
kahless92

Power problem

Ok this is all the things that i have done to my rig:
timimng belt
check cam timiming
Adjusted vavles
adjusted throttle position senser (as check engine light resuested my too)
Sparkplugs, etc.
The problem is she lacks power, After pulling the codes she got better but when she is cold, or when she just gets a bug up her arse she runs poorly and acts as if she is not getting enough gas, checked fuel pressure and nothing abnormal there, after she warms up she will run fine for about an hour or so then without warning she will act up again, any ideas?
Also backpressure measured fine at the tail pipe,
If motor or head gasket was bad wouldn't the problem be constant and not intermittant?
Also please be specific in your reply as i am not that mechaniaccly inclined but i do learn fast [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
edit 1992 sidekick 4dr 16vavle 1.6, motor pretty much stock except for an electric fan motor.
Thaks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 03:32 PM
kahless92

Re: Power problem

please somebody, i will try anything!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 03:39 PM

O2 sensor could be messing with the carb and it will set off the check engine light too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 03:50 PM
Veteran

Have you checked the fuel filter yet?
Loosen the gas cap to see if that makes a diff---If the vent is not working, the pump will pull a vaccum in the tank and it will hiss as you remove the cap. Do this after the rig starts acting up. HTH
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 04:18 PM

Good suggestions. Mine did this intermitant power loss alot.

Check the dist and bat grounds to the firewall. One of mine was down to a couple of strands

Replace the coil with an Accell or equivelant. Mine is the stock sized version, the box style is even better.

Someone mentioned the fuel filter and vac in the tank.

gas: Since switching to U76, which in CA is gasahol, its gotten MUCH better. My theory is the alcolol sucks
up the moisture before it can freeze in the carb orifices...

Try an alcohol bassed gas line antifreeze. if it gets better, its the fuel. Condensation can wreak havoc with
fuel.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 04:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree with the fuel filter. I have found this engine VERY sensitive when it comes to fuel delivery. I have a good 'Earls' cintered filter. It is made for big carbed engines but I discovered (the hard way) that it wont flow enough fuel when it starts clogging up. Even so minutely that if I blew through the filter I couldnt feel the differance, but when ever I cleaned it it would be fine for a day or too. Whenever it started acting up I would clean it and it would be fine again. That reminds me, I need a high-flow filter...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 05:27 PM
kahless92

Would the fuel tank hissing thing you guys mentioned still hold true for fuel injected rigs?And as far as the check engine light after i ran the codes it gave up code 54, so i adjusted the throttle position sensor now the check engine light is out and if i pull codes it pulle 12(normal according to haynes)And the thing that bugs me is it usually acts up when she is first started then i can drive for a bit and wham runno like crappo, a few minutes later fine again.Thanks for all the suggestions and keep them coming i could use all the help i can get,
BTW when i checked my fuel pressure it checked out ok would a bad fuel filter cause intermittant power problems?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 05:53 PM
Veteran

The hissing would be with any tank that requires venting.
Fuel filter may let more fuel through at times.---Debree may fall to the bottom of filter and then get sucked up again. Yes, these two problems could be intermittant, and may not ---Probably not show up on a pressure check. The vaccum problem as well as the filter problem are cumulitive.
When you turn off the engine, some of the particles that are clogging the filter may fall off.
When engine is off, the vaccum slowly bleeds off.

The grounds like mentioned above are also something to look at. By re-working the grounds, you WILL help to prevent future problems in several areas.
Good luck
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 05:59 PM
kahless92

thanks i will look into them both, any other ideas?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 06:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

the fuel pressure has to be with-in the recommendations. Pinch the return briefly and see in the pressure shoots up, if it does then its OK. You have to do it well its running crappy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode