Transmission Removal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 01:52 PM
arizuki86335

Transmission Removal

I need a "checklist" of "MUST DO" steps for transmission removal. The "search" function turned up two threads:

#979959 from 12/25/02 and
#1120488 from 6/6/03 Both good threads.

I am still somewhat confused on "the notch."
Think I "get it" but some extra words of advice would help.
I finally own a copy of the FSM and have been studying both Haynes and the FSM. They differ significantly.

Now some of you have said to simply use a block of wood between the disty and thefirewall. Others say, jack the engine. Haynes says take the distycompletely out and then use the wood block between the housing and the firewall.

Anyway, I have copied off the text of all relevant posts and will be printing it out. I got to thinking that this topic is worth revisting so that you experts could post a "TopTen" list of either/or do's and don't's. I made this topic title the same as the last time it came up so that the next Zooker who uses the words "transmission removal" will get all this stuff, too.

Will be starting on the project about 9 a.m. tomorrow so how you have time to post up your list(s). THANKS!

J&S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 02:07 PM

Re: Transmission Removal

I found in my 410 with the 1L motor that simply removing the cap was sufficient. I'll check tonight whether
the 2 differ for clearance.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 04:10 PM

I used a block of wood behind the distributor. Funny thing is on day 2 of working on it I used a different block of wood which was thicker and I couldn't get tranny back on [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 05:36 PM
arizuki86335

Thicker block

This is REALLY GOOD info!
Hope more keeps comin'

j
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 06:34 PM
JCC

Re: Thicker block

Don't use a 2x4 block, use some 1x, It seems to make a differance. Do you understand about notching your tranny mount? Also make sure the top and bottom bushing are in place before reinstalling the tranny. Don't do like me and have to pull it back out to put them on. JCC
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 07:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I am still somewhat confused on "the notch."

Here's what I did on mine.....
Pictured is a homebrew tranny mount using a GMTH350 mount. Where that sits is where you should notch or grind back a bit......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1228579-Tranny-mounts.jpg (89.7 KB, 98 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 09:58 PM
Fasterthangas

OK....I'm confused. Why is a block of wood needed? I simply unplugged wires going to tranny, pulled shifter out from inside cab, yanked the starter, unbolted tranny mount, and unbolted tranny from engine. All the above done with a jack holding the tranny up. I then wiggled tranny towards back of Zuki until it released from engine block. Lowered the jack and Vollah! To ease installation; I cut rear tranny crossmember back 1/2". See the two bolts at the very bottom of Crow's pic? There is a big hole inbetween the two bolts? Cut that piece back towards the big hole 1/2". This helps to get the tail of the tranny lifted back up in when reinstalling. Good luck!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 10:30 PM

The notch will become evident when you get under there.

One of the best tricks I learned during my clutch install was a nifty free transmission hoist.

First remove the shifter, boot, and all applicable mounting bolts to tranny.

Next, take any plain tow strap and lay it over the top metal support bar that runs from the targa to the windshield. Open the pass door and shut the short end of the tow strap in the door so it wont slip. Then take the long end of the strap and run it down through the shifter opening and under the tranny where it sits on the mount. Next run the strap up from the shifter hole over the drivers side support bar and back down to the base of the door. When finished the straps should look like a big M with the V part of the M going into the tranny hole. You can then pull on the stap raising the tranny up taking all the weight off so you can slide it in and out easily. Pull the strap, raise the tranny, and slam the strap in the door to secure it from sliding.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 11:12 PM

Block of wood is to kep from breaking the distributor off on the firewall. And thats corect..you want a 1x not a 2x, thats what got me messed up.

My Samurai had a notch already cut in the crossmember, I have a feeling this is a very widely done mod [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (my truck was a plain jane everyday stock machine before me)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 04:26 PM
arizuki86335

Always, The Surprise

Well, we got the tranny out OK. The rear oil seal decided to take a hike this morning and spilledoil all over my buddy's clean garage floor--and that was before we started messing with the tranny. Anyway, I found an oil sealat the dealer's place for six bucks. It is a practically micropscopic bungee-like device inside of it. It is perhaps 1-2 mm in diameter. Under a magnifier I can see that there appears to be some elastic sort of material inside some really, really tiny metal coils. It looks more like something you would find inside a Swiss watch that a Zuki tranny seal. The old seal had nothing of the sort. It is just a stout piece of seal but hardened with age. We expect to receive another seal from NAPA this morning and will compare the two. It has been suggested (below) that I may have damaged the seal with a wire brush. I was using a small brass brush with a head one-half inch wide and 1.5 inches long. And I didn't brush near the head of the shaft.
Frankly, I am hesitate to install that seal (shown in the fuzzy attachment) because I can't imagine how such a tiny tension device could withstand continuous heat and pressure for a very long time. What do you think?
j
PS--All of your advice has been INCREDIBLY helpful. It is like a Christmas Gift! And more! I can't imagine doing this job and having as much fun without all of your advice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1229181-seals.JPG (17.3 KB, 45 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode