Snow Zuki - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Snow Zuki

After our 1st snow fall here this past weekend it got me to thinking. What is the best way to set up a Zuke for the snow? Are all seasons the way to got or are mud tires better? Open or Locked, etc? This would be a more or less for a daily driver rig. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 12:58 PM
GRW

Re: Snow Zuki

Alot depends on your driving.
If you have a heavy right foot, you may not want a locker.
Personaly I don't have a problem with mine.
My V8 FJ40 (before my sami) was locked in the rear also.
Both daily drivers, just keep your foot out of it on the ice. As far as tires go, the AT's seam to be better, but I just run the same mud tire siped. Driving a short wheel base can be fun also. I enjoy driving on snow (some say I am worped [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ). If you don't have much time behind the wheel of a short wheel base rig take it easy, try to find an open parking lot and figure out how it will react. Then take it easy and have fun. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 01:00 PM

Chains in the rear and skis up front! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img][img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

Sorry I couldn't resist! [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 01:21 PM

like this! unstoppable!!

seriously, lots of sipes (small tread shapes) are much better than mud tires for packed snow (road snow) and ice- off road is not the same, then you want mud tire (I like my Terras too).
My Baja Claws are terrible. So are the BF Goodrich All Terrains - lots of people like them for snow, but I think only compared to M/Ts - I find them HORRIBLE, and I drive a LOT on ice. Too wide a should, too flat a profile, really poor path in the tread for slush, too. I see 'em in the ditch all the time.

Blizzaks ROCK in the slick stuff - I like them better than studded snows. Ice racing in the non-studded class, you MUST run Blazzaks to win.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 01:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I swapped to my AT's 30" tires for plowing as the 33" muds "float" too much when plowing. they work much better.
(I found this last year) They are just Hi tech retreads.
[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I drove Daxes sami with the spool in the rear and it was VERY nice. My locker in the sami Sucked in under 4"
of snow, the spool was very predictable. Otherwise open for snow.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 01:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The new rig I have I am psyched to be driving in the snow. I am keeping a locker out of it for that reason. PLUS this will have daily-drive ablity. I think it will do well without one in the snow as most 4x's don't have them. My last rig wheeled well in the winter having a locked rear but this one wont see too much wheeling so I am opting to not use a locker. I am running 32x11.5 bfg mud terrains in place of the 31x10.5 at's. The only thing I really noticed using these last year was I had to keep the pressure down or they did me no good.

I think this rig will do fine (Except for the fact that the previous owner completely bastardized the heat so there currently is none but I'll have that fixed!) there is no need for a locker in snow only, IMO.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 02:45 PM

I think alot has to do with the snow itself out of 3 trips I made last year one I had alot of problems (hard snow) one wasnt much fun (wet snow ) the other was unreal 3ish foot of fresh snow and I was still driving. If I got out I sank up to my waste.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 03:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Brent last I knew the heat worked?
I will ask him what is up tomorrow.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 03:15 PM

[img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Pooh-Bah

The AT's I have, with the spool in the rear have worked great. I was plowed in(since I park in the street) so it was about 2' deep, in 4high front locked also, I drove right out of it. Have had no other problems cruising around playing in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode