Did I get ripped off? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Did I get ripped off?

As some of you know, I have been working on installing an EFI onto my 88.5 Sammie. I had rebuilt my carb, but it still wasn't running well at all. In fact it sat for almost a year becuse it ran so poorly. About a year ago I bought an EFI from someone on a Sammie board. It took me this long to have time to install it. It seems to work great except for two major problems in my opinion.

1. No lights. The swap required me to swap the entire wiring harness. The new harness is a 91 from Canada with Daytime Running Lights. The harness is missing the DRL control module. My lights will not work without the module, not even the parking lights. I was quoted $300 Cnd for a new module. The same price I paid for the rest of the EFI assembly. I could try to rewire the entire light harness, but it would require me to remove the entire harness again and rewire it blind. I have had no luck getting a wire diagram with DRLs. Rewiring is not an option in my mind.

2. EFI air intake assembly is missing. When I first received the box, I looked through it quickly and noticed the airbox was missing. I assumed that I could use my carb airbox and never thought of it. I was wrong. The carb airbox mounts by a center mount stud. The EFI seems to mount by a ring mounted on the outside. They are not compatible.

3. These following items aren't major problems but I want to explain all the facts. The exhaust manifold is cracked. Hey I understand that he probably didn't see the crack. Two of the vacuum line connectors were broken off in shipping as well, I was able to reattach them to the sensors. I'm not trying to slam the guy, and no I won't give you his name, I just want impartial opinons so I can decide what to do.

I contacted the seller by email with my concerns, his reply was

"The truck didn't have a day time running lights module and air box. I only listed the parts that were included with the package".

My problem with his reply is based on his post when he sold the parts. He said,

"For Sale: Everything you need to convert your Samurai to Fuel Injected..

Computer
Fuel pump
complete intake
exhaust manifold (O2 sensor)
Complete wiring harness (front to back)
Even the dash cluster goes with it (not the tach model)
ect... everything included except for gas tank as no one will ship it

$300US + shipping

All parts come off a 91 Samurai EFIe-mail me if interested ."

What do you think? Does he owe me parts, or am I SOL? When I saw the post, everything included, I assumed that everything was there, no other parts would need to be purchased. I based my decision to buy on that premise. Like I said, I'm not trying to slam the guy, I just want my Sammie to run.

Thanks,

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 08:46 AM
arizuki86335

statute of limitations

We sure sympathize with your plight. It creates a terrible sinking feeling in your stomach and even makes a reader groan. So you sure have our heartfelt condolences.

We have bought and sold hundreds of items on Ebay. We figure the theoretical "statute of limitations" is about as long as it takes to open the box, try out the item and email the seller. We figure if we haven't logged a complaint withint 24-36 hours after receipt of the item(s), then we are SOL. Ditto with people we've sold to. Luckily, we've never had any problems in that regard but we takes great pains to tell them in advance about the terms of "as is" or "guaranteed not D.O.A." We tell them they are under the obligation to test the item ASAP and notify us IMMEDIATELY if there is a problem.

We also extend this same sort of thing to physical sales. We sold a1987 Honda Accord the other day. We paid a trusted mechanic $25 to do a written evaluation of the vehicle and tried to point out everything wrong with it.
Nonetheless, they discovered both front wheel bearings were bad only 2 days after the purchase. We chipped in on their costs without them even asking for it. That's only fair.

On the other hand, if they had waited a year to make this determination, we would feel no obligation whatsoever to provide reimbursement for any parts or repair costs.

Even though you may not have been able to attempt to install the items upon receipt, you had an obligation to do as thorough a check as possible and determine what glitches might have been present. If I was the seller, I'd have a hard time justifying sending you money, even if the item description is rather misleading.

Sorry for the negative assessment and we hope you know we are not being critical, just explaining the viewpoint from soneone who buys and sells a lot of stuff. We hope that you can "come out ok" somehow on the deal and we wish you a Very Happy Holiday!

J&S
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 08:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Did I get ripped off?

I may still have my EFI air box somewhere. It's from a 94 though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 10:26 AM

I can tell you from experience, watch out when ever you see words like "everything" 9 out of 10 it is false. I was just involved w/ something like this myself. Only w/ a vendor. I emailed and asked "please list everything included" He wrote back "everything is included". So I asked again and he would beat around the bush about some other stuff and never just list it out like I asked for. That is until he had my $ then there was no hesitation to tell me what was NOT included. If you buy a kit with "EVERYTHING you need" then how can something I need not be INCLUDED [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]. What a crock of $hit [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img][img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] Oh well it is my own fault. I was warned by people on this board that the guy I am dealing w/ was an ass. But I didn't listen. Oh well live and learn I guess.
F_T
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 10:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I had about the same thing happen to me when I got my replacement motor for my samurai after my old one bought the farm.
I told the guy that had it, that mine was an 88.5 and wanted to make sure that the wiring from his early model 88 would work, and he assured me it would just plug right up. Even when we were pulling the motor he kept telling me that I should be able to just drop the new one in, plug it up and be driving it again by the next day!
Well it didn't! So, I basically have no plug-in wire harness now, I've had to hard wire almost everything just to get my motor to work properly.
It does suck that you didn't get all of the stuff you thought you should get, but that's another one of the many dangers in buying things sight-unseen and off the computer.
I'm sure you can probably find some of the parts you'll need here on the BBS to make it work.
Good luck!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 12:40 PM

mtntoy,

i have the efi intake assembly and might even have an efi air box if you need. pm me if interested
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Thanks for the input everyone. As I said originally, I'm not trying to flame the seller, I just feel like I was misled. I don't want money back, I just want the missing parts. To me it doesn't matter if I bought the parts last week or last year, it wasn't what was promised. Having never seen an EFI for a Sammie, especially in pieces in a box, there is no way would know if they were all there until it was installed. I understand having a few electrical parts missing, I cobbled in a few pieces already. But a control module that was never available in the US on a vehicle and costs $300 now is a bit much in my opinion. So does anyone have a DRL module for a '91 Sammie? What do you guys want for an EFI airbox?

Thanks again.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 06:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Maybe you should PM whazoo... I am thinking he might be able to make your harness work without DRL's for cheap too. He's the wiring guy around here.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

I would jump the wires if it was possible for me to do so. As far as I have been able to determine there are no wiring diagrams available for purchase or online that show the DRL wiring. The only two options I have, in my opinion, are to remove the entire harness and try to trace every lighting system wire and to rewire it to match the non DRL diagrams I do have. The only way I could test it would be to reinstall the entire harness. Not an option in my opinion.

The other option would be to purchase a DRL module. The price I was quoted for a new one is $400 cdn.

As for the EFI inbox, there isn't one in a junkyard within 300 miles. I have looked into options. The missing piece in the "complete wiring harness, front to back" is $100 more than I paid for all the other parts combined.

I appreciate you inputs. Does anyone else have the parts I need?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 04:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I would jump the wires if it was possible for me to do so. As far as I have been able to determine there are no wiring diagrams available for purchase or online that show the DRL wiring.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ya there is, its in the Haynes manual,sounds like you have the wiring harness they based their diagram off of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode