just a little question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 08:07 AM
pier351

just a little question

I have an 88 samurai with a spring over. I was just wondering if any one runs a retread tire and what they think about it. Also what is the largest tire i can run on the stock wheel without changing anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 08:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: just a little question

One of the spares on a sammy I just picked up was a 31x10.5 on a stock rim... it fits okay but I wouldn't want to try to drive with it. I think it would hit the spring way before the lock/stop. I have a set of 32x11.5 and 31x10.5 on 15x8 with 3+ inches of backspacing (the rims are different) and they do hit the springs but much later so I can deal with it.

Oh an the 31x10.5's are retreaded tires. I haven't used them though. There are a few guys on this board that do use them with good results.

I'd say pick up a set aftermarket cheap steelies when you get your tires... you're better off with them over stocks.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 09:05 AM

Because truck tires are so expensive big rigs run re-treads any where they have dulies. They always run new on the front. When driving down the highway have you ever noticed the "dead alligators" the complete tire tread in the road or off to the side. That's what happens to re-treads when they get hot, the tread seperates from the tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 10:36 AM

I wouldn't run retreads on a daily driver, there are cheap tires out there that would be safer on the road in the long run.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 01:57 PM

Well i'm one who has gone against logic and has put some retreads on my daily driver samurai. got some 235/75/15 not sure what the biggest you can go on a stock rim. haven't made it to do any real wheel'n in the 2 months i've had them though i have played around a little and they did great there. I can let you know after next weekend if there are any problems on the trail. only put 1000 miles on so couldn't tell you about treadwear. So I'm happy with them so far
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 04:47 AM
dieseltech

I personally wouldn't recomend retreads unless the price is right. In my line of work i see alot of retreads most are junk. There is two areas of concern with retreads first is the bead i would say least 60% of retreads have a damaged bead which isn't good (cuts or tears which will cause leaks) and the second concern the cap to casing bond ie how well the tire stays togather. I personally have used hitech retreads in the past they were decent retread with exception on the bead being chewed up. Damage to the bead is from improper (dis)mounting of tires. As a side note in minnesota it is legal for a semi to run a retead on the steer axle, which is scary! Hope this helps

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 07:32 AM

I reccomend retreads from Hi-tech retreads. A close friend of mine ran them for well over a year on his Grand Cherokkee and wheelled the hell out of them. No problems whatsoever. Plus they're cheap to replace. If money is tight go with these and I don't think you'll be sorry.

Koko
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 09:37 AM

Hi tech has a good product. But there supply demand abilities are a little lacking. I tried to get a set of 33's from them once and they were waiting for tires to come in that they could retread. Said it could be 6 mos. I run a mastercraft brand 33 it is an offbrand made by cooper tire. They are great and only cost a little more than the retreads. Look around for a little more money you can get a new tire w/ better tread pattern and so forth.
F_T
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 09:41 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
As a side note in minnesota it is legal for a semi to run a retead on the steer axle, which is
scary!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm I always thought that was a DOT rule which would override the state rules...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 04:00 AM
dieseltech

For the DOT comment, federal gov sets the standards and states can add their own to that, California is the worst state for being the most strict just ask any truckers. After review my Minnesota DOT inspectors book it confirmed that is legal to run a recap on a steerable axle! Makes you wonder who makes they great laws!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode