engine wont turn over - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 04:35 PM
hagueconst

engine wont turn over

I was wheeling in northern Ca the other day and shut off my engine to scout the area(snow was getting deep). Jumped back in and hit the key and nothing. I could here the solonoids near the carb energizing but no turn over of the engine. Thought maybe it was the starter so I replaced it also put on the 30 amp relay to the starter, still does not start. Any Ideas would be appreciated. [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 04:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: engine wont turn over

Ok, so you have done the clicky start relay modification correct?

Have you replaced/checked your main engine ground cable and the (+) cable to the starter?

Good battery for sure??
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 04:57 PM
shoezuki

Maybe you dislodged the clutch interconnect switch when you got out. There is a two pronged connector that runs from you ignition switch to a switch that is located on your clutch pedal under the dash. The purpose of said switch is to keep you from starting the car in gear. I think you can bypass the switch by just running a loop from one prong on the connector to the other-but don't quote me on that, I haven't tried it...yet. I would look there first. you can also check the wire that is running into your Solenoid and make sure that it is getting voltage when you crank the ignition switch, just take it off your starter (the small wire-NOT the one comming from you battery!) and hook a multimeter to it and have someone try and crank it, you should see some voltage. If you do, then it is not your safety interlock switch on you clutch pedal.

Also, for future reference: If you EVER take your dash out, make sure that the two prong connector goes to the right one, I took my dash out to get at the heater core and when I connected the wiring back up the thing wouldn't start! puzzled, I checked everything and about after an hour of getting frustrated, started disconnecting the dash wiring again on to stumble over another 2 pronged connector! Well guess what-I had them reversed! thing started right up after I switched them around. in 20/20 hindsight I should have paid more attention-it was quite obvious that a 12 gauge wire shouldn't connect up to a 20 gauge!

I wish you luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 05:00 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Have you replaced/checked your main engine ground cable and the (+) cable to the starter?

[/ QUOTE ]

That, and making sure the terminal clamp and terminals are clean. They sometimes aren't corroded but get
that black lead oxide which ia a terriffic insulator it turns out...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 05:24 PM
hagueconst

Problem solved. It was the connector for the clutch switch. Came apart. Thanks you guys brilliant!

Ron
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 06:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hmm, you noted you heard the starter relay clicking?! The clutch safety switch will not allow the starter relay to click. Hmph.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 07:36 PM
hagueconst

I mentioned I heard solonoids by the carb energizing. [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 07:52 PM
arizuki86335

Cool Board stuff

One really cool thing about this board is what I like to call "cross-over" stuff. (NOTE: I first joined in 1999 but my ID recently wouldn't "take" so, hence, I have a new ID that shows I am brand new. Not so.) Anyway, one of the coolest things I really have always liked about this Board is that you can learn SOOOO MUCH from all the ideas and suggestions, even if they aren't exactly what it takes to solve a problem. The guys on the board are so great--they just keep pumping out those thoughts and ideas. They don't care if they are off base or wrong or misplaced. And you know what? In the meantime, people like me read all those ideas and sit in front of their computers going, hum...., well, dang, I NEVER thought of THAT one! It's so great!

Viva Da Zuki Board!

j
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 08:07 PM

Re: Cool Board stuff

Well were zukaholics, changing the world...one step at a time...lol I been on this board since I was 12, it is indeed a good source of information, altho it has its ups and downs, there are many a good man that will help out on this board. I always bypass the clutch relays by simply clipping the 2 wires and hardwiring them together, works like a charm.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 09:46 PM

Re: Cool Board stuff

I too spliced the two wires together on the clutch switch, Being able to start in gear on a huge boulder I stalled on (being a wimp) was cool [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Not to mention hearing all the old timers yell "git your damn foot off the clutch" when I was hung up on something in my early days of rockcrawling.

Where you at in norcal hagueconst?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode