T-Stats.........?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

T-Stats.........??

My temps have been a little higher than I would like, so I tested some t-stats I had previously replaced for any number of reasons....
I tested 3 Stant Super Stats(180*). One started opening at 180* plus. The other 2 started opening quite a bit higher and fully opened at around 200*. These stats were'nt very old...

So, my question is, what t-stat has been the least problematic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 09:04 PM

Re: T-Stats.........??

When I had overheating problems I pulled the stock t-stat out and replaced it with a stant super 180*. It didn't get any cooler so I replaced the water pump(it was leaking)....no better. I replaced the radiator with a new stock unit...still ran hot!! I then pulled the "new" super stat out and was going to run without one when a friend suggested testing it. So in to the kicthen I went with a pan and the cooking thermometer(don't tell the wife) and heated that bad boy up. POS didn't open fully until 220* so I went down to the parts store and bought the 190*(no 180* in stock) Stant....I guess it would be non-super t-stat, the cheapest one...and brought it home. Get this, it opened at 180* and was fully open at 185*...go figure. I put it in and the old girl never comes past the 1/4 mark after it opens fully even in 90*+ weather in 4LO. [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]

Interesting side note:
I work with a guy who used to race SCCA and was a factory trained Mercedes tech, and he told me that when your antifreeze reaches temps above 220* it take twice the cooling power to cool it back down then it does at 190*. So he didn't run T-stats in his race cars just make sure he got maximum coolant flow.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 10:34 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
So he didn't run T-stats in his race cars just make sure he got maximum coolant flow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Summers can be over 120 degrees here. I've seen guys take thermostats our of their rigs (no sammys) and somethimes they run hotter without. My brother (the mechanic) told me that's because a waterpump can push the fluid through the radiator so fast it really doesn't have a chance to cool down.

WB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 12:19 AM

Summers can be over 120 degrees here. I've seen guys take thermostats our of their rigs (no sammys) and somethimes they run hotter without. My brother (the mechanic) told me that's because a waterpump can push the fluid through the radiator so fast it really doesn't have a chance to cool down.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true and I wouldn't recommend not running a T-stat on a daily driver, but his race cars had high flow pumps and oversized aluminium radiators to help with heat dispersion......and going 100+mph moves a lot of air [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 02:12 AM
bneiman

Here is a link from a previous post with similiar info on stats------> stat info post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Me bad!!! The two stats that opened up around 200* were actually 195* stats......
I guess I shouldn't mess with anything mechanical while suffering from a sinus/dental infection...... [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Don't I feel stupid.... [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Any experience with the Motor Rad fail safe stats?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yes I have , had one cost me a head gasket . It did it's fail safe job , they replaced it according to their warranty . I had to buy the **(&amp;^ head gasket and eat that . Some warranty. If you really want a good thermostat , get one from Suzuki . So far , I've tested out 5 oem units and every one although they were quite old and crusty still opened properly at their designated temp . Aftermarket units just suck , doesn't seem to matter whose they are ....
Sarge
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 05:00 PM
Can't Get Enough

Aftermarket units just suck , doesn't seem to matter whose they are ....

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya Crow,

My experience has been the same with the aftermarket stats....

L8R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode