What about unsprung weight? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

What about unsprung weight?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Heavy is good, its unsprung weight and will help you stay upright, well most of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

This was in a thread about FJ axles (I think) couple days ago, and got me to thinking....every wheeled performance sport I've ever been involved with has worked for less unsprung weight not more. Better acceleration, better suspension response, lower tire wear, everything is better if you can lower unsprung weight. Is offroading different?

I'd guess that heavy axles and tires would lower a zuke's center of gravity somewhat but generally is heavy good?

I'm 95% Daily Driver so it doesn't really matter to me but I'm curious if offroading/crawling is opposite everything else??

Thanks for you thoughts [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 09:27 PM

Re: What about unsprung weight?

Yes.

I used to be a sport compact guy. Lighter wheels, reducing unsprung weight with lighter control arms and such.

But, going to wider wheels and insanely heavy AT's.... its all about traction. Weight is the price paid.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 11:00 PM
Way Outta Control

I think the poster really meant weight should be as low as possible, not especially unsprung.
Think about it - the more unsprung weight you have the harder it is for the wheel to lift it up over obstacles.
Think how nice it would be if all the unsprung weight were just a few ounces, impossible, but -.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 12:05 AM

Toyguy, What you said is about right. Lowering the unsprung weight is always good, but with an off road
vehicle a lower center of gravity helps also. Generally the strength requirements have to be met first, and
that usually adds weight to the axles. Reducing rotating weight has benifits also to usable HP, and the big
tires aren't helping for that, espesially with the stock mouse motors.

I wouldn't indiscriminantly add weight for the heck of it though, as that unsprung weight isn't helping keep
a tire on the ground in bumpy faster paced conditions. A potted or washboarded dirt road for instance.
Thats what softer springs and bigger shocks are suposed to be doing for you.

If you could make it lighter and strong it would be better overall, but it isn't practical to get too light or you
break too much.

It's just that the heavier axles arent all negative in a high CG vehicle as they would be in a low CG vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode