hybrid front ends.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

hybrid front ends..

Whats up fellas?? I got some thoughts and questions..

I was planning on doing a d44/zuk hybrid front end setup shortly.. Then got to thinking..why not use a toy setup?? I would not narrow the axles (unlike d44) and I would use appropriate b.s wheels on the front and spacers on the rear (might not be needed) to get the front only a few inches wider..
The parts are easier to find, there are longfields availabe.. And the sidegears would have to be machined anyways.. Does anyone know the yota axle width off hand or the circumfrence of tubes? Would I need to rotate knuckles, heard it's not to hard any good write ups..
Does anybody have anything that I am not seeing that makes this not doable or harder (pricier) than the d44 hybrid.. I can only think of things that make it easier, more beneficial.. I will probably do alot of the work myself except the sidegear machining at my shop that I use..
Any comments on this stuff? Just need other opinions to catch the stuff I fail to see or understand.. To me i think this swap can be done for under 800 dollars with me doing some of the work.. I was gonna have the d44/zuk front done for 800-900 with me supplying the donor axle.. and doing NO work..

Any input would be great!

Thanks, Scott [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 07:16 PM

Re: hybrid front ends..

you can ussually find a set of toy axles for 250 bucks then you just need some misc. to finish it up. yota axles would be way cheaper and easier if you ask me.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I already got 512's f/r with powertrax f/r.. rear is a hybrid with alloy shafts... Plus I like to keep it mostly zuk.. and I like to have a challenge and a unique setup..

Later, Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 11:50 PM

ok.....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Anybody else?? Should I post this on pirate?.. Normally they just talk shiat and say, just do the full toyota swap..i don't want to and this seems like a fun project..

Later, Scott
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 05:15 PM

off the top of my head toy 6 lug most adapters I have seen wont fit over the hub. shafts would need resplining. it looks like adapting the samurai outers(from the spindle out) to the toy might be possiable (that is what they do with the 44 hybrids usually )

the plus to this is if the outers can be adapted, and the spindle can be modified(lathe out the inner bushing) to accept the toy stub axle. then the toy locking hubs can be used, and the birfield outers would be entirely a stock piece.

you would probably break inners at the diff where the axle was reduced to fit the suzuki stuff
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 05:02 PM

If your talking about swapping out just the front then you might run into a couple problems. One yota's being 6 lug and sami being 5 lug. You could get and adapter but then your frontend will be quite abit wider than the rear. Second, the difference in gear ratios. A while back I heard someone was making 5.29 for a samurai, and that is fine if you are still running a stock rearend, and if you could find the gears. If your running a kick hybrid rear then you might be SOL.

IMO you might aswell sell your rear too and pick up a yota rear, there a dime a dozen. And if you look hard enough it might not cost any extra after you sell your sami rear.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Why not run complete yota from the diff out? Yeah it would be 6 lug but I think I could live with that (maybe).. Why would they break at the differential? I would machine the sidegears to accept a full yota sized axle shaft.. I would like to keep the rear end I have because it is strong enough for my purposes.. The front end is the weak part.. I know that brents suzana or other peoples similar hybrid d44 has good success with 35's.. So I said ..why not think about useing the yota axle for a donor.. You can get longfields and it would not need to be narrowed..Thanks for the inpute guys.

Later, Scott
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 08:12 PM

I would argue that front end holding up a much larger tire than a 35, not going out of step, but looking at the buildup of that axle it seems very tough. now, back on topic, the only dilema I have found with custom axles, is that everything that axle runs into a problem, it takes those custom parts all over again to repair them, kind of like shortenning a D44 or toyota to go up front, everytime you broke an axle shaft, you would be buying custom axle shafts each time, something to think about...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 09:46 PM

chances are the hole in the side of the suzuki case that the spider gears are in would be too small for the toyota shaft to fit thru so the toy shaft would need to be reduced in diameter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode