Toyota axles is it worth doing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Toyota axles is it worth doing

Is the yota axle swap really worth it. I dont plan to ever run bigger than 32's. Im plannin on runnin the csc yj kit and a 4.16 tcase, The motor will be the stock 1.3 with fuel injection cuz thats all the power i personally need.

My delima is that i have a complete set of stock zuk axles as spares but have no spare parts for the yota stuff. Would it be worth all the trouble to do the yota swap for what i plan on doin with my zuk.

Jus a question, not tryin to start a big debate or anything.

Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 03:25 PM

Re: Toyota axles is it worth doing

Depicting on whether an axle swap suits you also matters on your style of wheeling. As far as the rockcrawling world, no upgrade is overkill, maybe pointless, but never overkill. If your hitting mud swaps and hardly any climbing, then an axle upgrad would not much be needed. Sometimes, people upgrade the axles in a "just in case" sense of mind. 32's can still fold stock axles, but in some instances, the driver is to blame. If you have a heavy right foot, and push your machine extremely hard, then axles will be something to consider. Other then that, I have heard of v6 zuks running stock axles with 33's and never breaking merely because they "idle'd" over obstacles instead of romping over them.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well, I dont like rocks, personally dont see the point in it. But im NOT knockin it. The problem is everything is rockcrawlin anymore. Ive recently heard that tellico is 90% rocks now. The source wasnt that great but if thats the case it looks like im gonna have to start buildin something that flexes and is stout cuz i like to wheel to much to quit juz cuz all i can find is rocks. And i wheel hard, so the swap prolly isnt a bad one. I jus really like the idea of keepin it "all zuk".

With that said, how hard is it to put the axles under a zook. I havent searched yet but am goin to as soon as i post this. From what ive heard tho it isnt too hard. I personally cant weld but have several friends who are certified welders.

Anybody else got advice.

Thanks a million.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 06:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I jus really like the idea of keepin it "all zuk".

[/ QUOTE ]
The toyota and samurai axles are both made by Asian, probally by the same child labor in the same factory. They look the same, only the toyota stuff is bigger. Switching from sami to toyota axles is considered an upgrade, not really a swap, kinda like going from a 1.3 to a 1.6 engine. They are different but made by the same company.

I didnt see the point in rocks either until I did it, you will see when you do it a few times, its fun. What else is there? Trail riding and driving up dirt hills? Its an easy install, I wouldnt think you would have any problems. If you maybe add some better birfields (stock toyota birfs are good in a sammi also) you shouldnt need any spare axle parts. (Yea, I know toyota axle parts can still break but your frame can crack in half too but nobody carries one of those [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I knew somebody would say that about the manufacturer.

Ive done some searching but cant really find anything on swapping them. Does someone know a link so i can read on it.

Thanks again

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 07:07 PM

i personally don't like to break on the trail and i've been running 31" swampers on stock locked axles for alittle over a year now with no problems. i wouldn't say i'm easy on them either but i'm not stupid either. i am however putting yota axles under my rig next week but only because i want to go with a bigger tire and don't want to have to worry about it.

so to answer your question you would be fine with the 32's and stock axles as long as you just don't be stupid. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 07:16 PM
Veteran

info Good info here. From the menu on the left, scroll down to toyota axle swap. Lots of other good stuff, too.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 10:13 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Ok...I am getting ready to do this one too.
My question is...what does everyone do about the steering?
I can't really afford a high steer kit for it right now(And I am a build it yourself kinda' guy anyway!). The Toy steering box pushed/pulled forward to back, where the Sammy box goes left to right [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I will figure something out...but any suggestions will make my job easier!! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 10:18 PM

hy steer arms go for 200 bucks, which in my eyes is a very cheap set up, however, there is hy steer arm conversion that can be done using 2 passenger side steering arms ( the one originally on the axle and a donor), in order to do this, the kingpin must be removed on one of them, then that arm milled down, and welded/ reinforced to the original arm, if you dont have the machine work to do so, it will cost you near as much as just buying some arms, rockrat has a extremely good set he sells..
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 10:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I don't think there is any negative factors in the toy axle upgrade. AND, you can sell off your sammy stuff and get toy axle parts cheap. It's all benefits!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode