Weird leak from the radiator? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 07:01 PM
DueNorth

Weird leak from the radiator?

I guess my Zuki is getting its gremins now.

I noticed a small fresh puddle on the ground (level) at parking lot when I was heading out for lunch. It seems like the Zuki was leaking some fluid. It was slightly brownish but the consistency was more like water then oil. It was dripping slowly with about one drop ever 45-60 sec.

My co-worker came to check it out, and we checked the radiator. It wasn't full so we added in more water. It took in about 700 ml (24oz) of water. It was cool since morning so we started it up and let it warm up before closing the radiator cap. Supposely that would make the pressure higher so we could issolate the leak. Instead, the leak slowed down and stopped.

We weren't sure so I moved the Zuki to another parking spot. Nope, no leak. After another hour or so of cooling, still no leak.

Strange, what could the cause of this? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

- Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 07:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Weird leak from the radiator?

Check the water pump, tube and fittings that come out the back of it , sounds like it's leaking when it's contracted and cold only .
Sarge
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 07:36 PM

Re: Weird leak from the radiator?

Letting it warm up with the cap off, then capping it at shut down will make it have a slight vacuum as it
cools. no leak! try it after it heats up with pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 07:42 PM
arizuki86335

Leak? What leak?

I have a leak exactly like the one you are describing in our 88.5 tintop. It is driving me NUTS! Or, like some people say, Nukking futs!

I started working to isolate this weird leak on October 26, two days after we bought the vehicle. I am STILL working on it. As noted, it is driving me nuts.

It is not AT ALL in any of the above "usual suspects."
I have become convinced that it is a flaw within the radiator itself--mostly because the first sign of leakage is ALWAYS on the bottom of the fan shroud. I have used a "white glove" to test for seepage from the "usual suspects." No luck. I can't seem to isolate the leak to any particular sector of the radiator. I've tried 220 power reading glasses and bright light from both sides of the radiator. Still can't pinpoint it. But where the heck else could it be coming from if its first sign is always deposited on the bottom of the shroud? (There ain't no way the fan clutch can leak fluid. NO WAY.)

Anyway, I am taking pre-emptive action and pulling the radiator and getting it thoroughly rodded, re-soldered and pressure tested. I found a 60-year-old company (that's been in the SAME location for 60 years) to do it for $54. What the heck? I am tired of trying to figure it out. ALso bought a water pump and all the rest of the "usual suspect" parts--hoses, etc. We're goin' after this one with all the big guns we got. Leak? What leak?

J&S
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 11:29 PM

Re: Leak? What leak?

Check the water fittings under the intake manifold, mine cracked and leaked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode