Chain Hoist - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Chain Hoist

A buddy of mine a while back showed me the miracle of chain hoists as he pulled out his Bronco sideways from a ditch. Amazing little tool. I was wondering... If I wanted to look into one for the samurai what weight should it be. I think the rule I saw way back for winches was 1.5 but I am not sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 08:36 PM

Re: Chain Hoist

Don't know what size. My neighbor uses 'em though for his BroncoII and his truck for off-road recovery. He says they work great. No fear of snap-back or cable breaking like on a come-a-long. He says they even work in the mud and brush. I figured debri would interfere with the mechanism but I guess not.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 09:01 PM

Seems awfuly heavy to be hauling in a zuk. What rating was he using, and why not a cable winch? Sure,
as mentioned, cables can snap, but so can chains and with just as disasterous results. A good come-a-long
and a tow strap is light, and can be very powerful. I used 'em for years and years. If the cable is damaged,
just replace it. Cable is cheap and you can usually get a better, higher strength than what came with the
come-a-long, and no bigger, and sometimes smaller diameter, which means more length. Some even come
with a doubling pully.

The other often neglected tool it a high lift jack. You can also use a high lift as a winch. A little awkward
sometimes, but effective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Still wondering what weight should be used with a Samurai. The one that was on sale is .5 tons which seems a little small to me.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 08:57 AM

1000 lbs is too light. You want closer to 2 tons or 4000 lbs. And that gets heavy.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 09:27 AM

http://www.roadlessgear.com/Merchant...ct_code=MPP100 best comalong I have found so far but it doesnt replace a winch

Avantages can be used anywhere front, back, side, or independant of rig

disavantages cant be used to provide a continuous pull like a winch wich is very handy in deep mud (unless there is more than one person)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Looks really mean but I wouldn't want to be that close to something that has that much strength. If it breaks it wouldn't be pretty.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 09:48 AM
Apprentice

I've got one of those that I've used successfuly for years. Mine is an old one, RED DEVIL is the name on it, but I've used it on every vehicle I've owned from Sammi's to my 3/4 ton chevy. Not as good as a winch, but has always been a lifesaver. I made a custom 3 foot, collapsable handle so it stores pretty well, and I can tailor the length of the handle to the amount of leverage I need in 1 foot increments.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 01:41 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Looks really mean but I wouldn't want to be that close to something that has that much strength. If it breaks it wouldn't be pretty.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you would want to be near something weaker and more likely to break? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Lil_Mudder,

I'm not sure I understand your aversion to cable, vs. chain. If you know the cable's rating, and its above
what your device is, be that an electric or hand winch, you should have no problems. Chain can acumilate
micro fractures and snap without warning. Cable you can inspect for fraying.

The only time I have seen a cable snap, is missusing it. Like trying to use it as a snatch strap and
slamming it with a moving vehicle. Or using a frayed cable. Chain will do the same. A tool used properly
won't hurt you. Look at any accident report and its always misuse, not following set limits, using a tool
thats worn out, dull, damaged...

Think about it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 01:49 PM
SPAMurai

i LOVE my more power puller! yanked out a bunch of stumps with it this summer, and pulled my sammy out of several mudholes. hooked it to the frame and lifted the front end off the ground for some front-end work.
it won't break on you - the handle is designed to be the weakest part. if you try to exceed the capacity of the puller, the handle will bend before anything breaks. i also love the snatch that comes with it for doubling the pulling power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode