Backspacing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Backspacing

I am trying to figure out what backspacing my wheels are. Can someone tell me what the stock backspacing if for a Samurai? If I was to measure it myself would it be the diestance from the lug nut whole to the inside edge of the rim?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 10:55 AM

Re: Backspacing

Yes it is and its 3.5" stock
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

I am wondering because I am trying to figure out how much of and extra load is on the bearing. I currently have 33x12.5 but I am not sure of the backspace as they are not the stock rims. I will look tonight and may have more questions later.
I would assume that because the tire is that much wider there is that much more of a load on the bearing. I was wondering if I moved to a 33x9.5 would I be able to fit and ride on a stock rim without rubbing? If so.... The load on the bearing would be the same as stock wouldn't it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 03:19 PM

The load on the bearing will be more just from the weight of larger tires more so then the off set of the wheel. I had 127,000 on my old front end and never had to replace a bearing and I ran 235s-33" tires with 4 1/2 - 2" backspace wheels.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Are you sure about that. To this point I have been told that a) offset is the biggest factor when talking about bearings b) weight asside a larger tires causes less revolutions of the bearing so its easier on it that way.
As for the weight I can see what you mean. I guess for the time being I'll just hold onto my 33x12.5's and see what happens in the next season (its winter here now).
Something else I am a little confused on. The stock rim is has 3.5" of backspacing. I just measure the rims that my 33 thornbirds are on and the backspacing is 4" (measured from the lug nut whole to the inside edge of the rim). So the person that owned the truck before me put these rims on for show because a 3.5" backspaced rim would give me more rubbing clearance to the frame that a 4" backspaced rim.

Am I getting this or am I just talking [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 05:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The smaller the # the more the wheel sticks out from the fender well the larger the # the more it sits inside So if you have 4" B.S yoiu are more likley to hit the spring on compression and while turning.. most people run 2"-2.5" of B.S so when they go larger tire diameter it keeps them off the springs.. As Far as you bearing ?? whell bearings are Conical and as long as they are set right to correct preload you should have no problem there is more force aplied to the King pin bearings with larger tires then there are to the wheel bearings and that is due to the xtra leverage..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 06:07 PM

Well I'm not sure about off set and bearing failure, I've heard people say it will wear out bearings but I never lost a wheel bearing on any of my rides. I have 33x12.50 Thornbirds and I ran a 2" backspaced wheel and they still hit the springs at full lock. How do you turn 'em with a 4" backspace? As for running a wheel with less backspace, don't worry about the bearings, keep them greased and keep dirt and water out of them and they'll last. A lot of guys here run 3" or less backspace and have no problems.....right guys.....guys?....hello [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 06:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

YEP What he said and how do you turn with 4" B.S????
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

I just don't know what to say guys. I'm really not trying to be a smart ass here. I measured as said above from the lug nut whole to edge of the inside. I haven't done much off-roading but the only time I rub on the street is when I turn the wheel all the way and the Nubs (Thornbirds) catch the spring.
Currently I have SPUA setup that will be changed to SPOA due to the bad articulation and ride quality. So if I am hearing you guys correctly... When I do get the flex I always wanted I will be screwed cause the tire will ride the spring.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 10:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You are only hitting a little right now because you are spring under. The spring is sitting 3.5"-4" lower then the center of the wheel once you go SPOA you will rub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode