A Challenge to our vendors and custom fabbers! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

A Challenge to our vendors and custom fabbers!

I remember a few years back when the only options for zuke parts came from calmini, petroworks, or RRO (then called summit off-road). I also remember that back then almost every week a new product was being released. To me it seems the market has slowed a bit. I also understand that smaller companies have picked up some of the slack and many people fab their own parts, but there seems to be still plenty missing. Maybe I'm just one of the few guys that has a vision but lacks the fab work and tools to create it. In my opinion, I see more zukes on trails now then early broncos yet the EB's have a whole lot more to choose from in terms of aftermarket parts. If you build it we will buy. Just make it cheap.....Correction...Price it cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 08:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: A Challenge to our vendors and custom fabbers!

what do you want to see in the market for a zuk,, (ie) example for us to look into..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 09:06 AM
SPAMurai

how about some simple & sturdy bumpers (front & rear). not fancy tube-bending & winch-mounts with built-in turn signals. just plain, straight steel bumpers. maybe 2x4 box tube with mounts? the signals can go elsewhere (behind grill, set into the tailgate)
steve o'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 09:22 AM

how about a twin stick shifter for the t case
(we are still waiting ROLLERSKATE) [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I would just buy the RRO reverse S shifter but ..... I wont go there

how about 1/2 doors

polycarbonate side windows (they have windshields)

full over the top axle truss from bearing to bearing in the rear and from the steering ball to the other steering ball for the front

adapter to put a 1300 carb manifold or or a carb manifold from something on a 1600 16 valve

a small auxiliary gas tank even 1 gallon would suit my needs(or a properly working gas gauge)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I know that you are working on tube doors, and that has been something that venders have been looking into for the over 3 years I have been on this BBS. So Thank you for that. Fiberglass parts, One of the reasons old early broncos are still around is because the fiberglass parts they have available. I think the bumpers we to choose from are really good. More door options in general. You can open any heep catalogue and find several different door configurations. Half doors with soft upper or hard upper,
soft half with hard and soft upper. Speaker boxes that are designed to fit in a samurai tucked around our roll bars. We can't even relocate our mirrors with out having to fab some new device. Suzuki built the samurai with the aftermarket in mind. Which is why mostly everything on the zuke is easily removed and modified. Sometimes you just want to open a catalogue or log on to a site and just start adding stuff to your buy list. We as samurai owners, and sidekicks owners far that matter as well don't have that option. I trully feel that the samurai is a much better built vehicle than the wrangler, and much more capable. Actually now looking at what I have written I think my main issue is accessories and things that may fall in that catagory.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 10:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Yeah, I'd like a fiberglass hood and fenders too! And why not a tub!

I'm happy with the gearing possibilities, suspension posibilities, and relatively easy engine swaps.

I'd like to see some larger market support for the trackers. I can't see why the companies aren't catering to them at least a bit. It would be cool to see some better suspension kits that could be bolt in.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 10:41 AM

The aftermarket for EBs and Jeeps have been around for 30+ years. I remember back in the 70's companys like Dick Cepek,Confer,Warn, and others where already making stuff for them. Samurais just started to get noticed for their trail abilty a few years back and I'm suprised that the aftermarket is as big as it's gotten. Thanks to guys like Shaffer, Calmini, (Summit Off Road)RRO, Victory Eng. who stepped up and started producing products has made it much easier for someone getting in to the sport today. Product development and ideas come from guys in the garage banging away on their project, so we need to post our ideas and tell the vendors what we want/need or do like Rockrat & Shrock build something...people like it...build more...sell it. We've just begun to see the Samurai aftermarket grow....Now we need to do something for those Track/Kick guys. There are more Kicks then Samurais out there [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 10:59 AM
Way Outta Control

Sure there's a need for aftermarket bolt-on stuff - for the wimps. But part of the intrigue is the fact that most everything is custom made by YOU.
Sure, anybody with enough money can bolt-on stuff - but it really isn't "theirs."
It takes creativity and ingenuity to build up something where you can't store-buy it.

Notice the original request - not for performance equipment - just decoration - "bumpers."

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 11:16 AM
pugrocker

I would think that there would be a high demand for a BOLT ON coil kit for Samurais....kind of like what ProComp tried to do for the YJs. This would be great for people who do not weld or have any fabrication skills.......and if you look at the ProComp kit it looks like it would be feasible - the only drawback that I see would be that it would not be a long arm kit (although it would be flexier and ride much smoother than a standard SPOA).

Installation Instructions for ProComp Bolt On Coil kit for YJs

I would think that a bolt on coil kit would sell like crazy [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 11:37 AM
pugrocker

here are some pics for those who are interested:

The entire kit uninstalled

Front drivers side

Front drivers side - another view
(Upper bracket not connected yet)

Front installed

Front installed with Panhard bar and steering stabilizer connected

Rear Bracketry

Rear drivers side

Granted the kit never really got rave reviews about flex but the concept in it's design could be tweaked to work well on a Samurai - also keep in mind that the design for this kit is a few years old now......the negative to this type of design would be the extra bracketry hanging down - BUT it would be a nice alternative to a standard SPOA if someone could design it properly and cost effectively.

Again I know the short arms would limit flex but the concept would be a BOLT ON coil conversion (and an alternative to the standard SPOA) - what do you all think???

JUST ADDED - here are some pics of the Tomken BOLT ON kit for the CJ....from SEMA 2000, I don't know if it ever made it into production

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode