Newbie Question: Body Mounts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Newbie Question: Body Mounts

Ok, here's an extreme newbie question on body mounts and body lifts.

After doing some searching, it seems like getting a poly body mount replacement kit from Trail Tough or North Coast would be a great way to level out my 86 (sags to the passenger side), and clean up a lot of squeaks, etc.

However, I'd also like to do a 1 inch body lift at some point to let me run bigger rubber on the ARS/RUF/CJ setup I'd like to do eventually.

So, the question is: does a body lift negate the need to replace factory body mounts? I.e.: would I be wasting my time doing the poly body mounts, if they're tossed when the body lifts off the stock locations anyway?

Thanks in advance.

Fyi: I did search on this and found plenty of good threads on each individually, but I couldn't find one that answered my question - illustrating my absolute lack of technical knowledge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 03:46 PM

Re: Newbie Question: Body Mounts

Well IMO i wouldnt use a body lift to correct a sag to one side or the other. I could see doing this front to back but not side to side. Id look into some new leafs to correct a left to right sag. And In the bushings a bodylift is not going to eliminate the need for them also if you take the bushings out you wont end up with a 1 inch body lift.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 04:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I'd also like to do a 1 inch body lift at some point to let me run bigger rubber on the ARS/RUF/CJ setup I'd like to do eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go with the poly mounts and do Randy's (ZOOKY) virtual lift... I am not sure how much clearence you gain but it is an inch easy. Then you don't have a need for a body lift. Search it... it has been around in the last few days. I'm always busting on Randy because he pimps it out but it seems lately I have been pushing it more than he.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 04:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree with both Steve and Brent. If your rig is sagging say 1 inch on 1 side a 2" body lift all around is still going to leave you sagging 1" on that side. Find out why it is sagging and post what you need on here, like springs for instance. The "Virtual Lift " article that Brent mentioned is now posted here: Zuwharrie BBS
Jim
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 05:42 PM

Rod, I agree with steveitalian about your springs, that is most likely where the sag is comming from. As for the virtual lift, this is a much better idea than a body lift. You've seen the amount of clearance on my blue tintop. I could easily fit 33's if it wasn't for the shackle reversal. On a stock truck with the lift you get from the RUF/CJ rear combo you are thinking about you should be able to run 30" tires without any problems. HTH
[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
BTW: how is the hardtop working out?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 08:29 PM

FYI: after installing

RUF/CJs with all new bushings (new CJ springs, rears with even arch)
New shackles
Poly bodymount kit

my 86 tintop STILL sags to the passenger side. [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]

I recently asked about this and the answer was because the battery, t-case, gas tank and spare tire are all mounted to the right it's normal for a zuke to tilt a bit. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

IT's a zuke thing. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Oh yeah, the RUF/CJ will easily fit 30s with no mods at all (with stock rims)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode