Need Painting Tips For Windshield/Screen Frame?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Need Painting Tips For Windshield/Screen Frame??

I have no idea as how to properly prepare my windshield frame for painting. The frame is mint and requires no repair, just a color change.
If anyone can lay out the steps I need to take in preparing it for painting, I would be very gratefull....
I've never painted before and am still up in the air if I'm going to do the painting or have a shop do it. Either way, I still want to do the prep.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 12:18 PM
Veteran

Re: Need Painting Tips For Windshield/Screen Frame??

Crow,
All you need to do is wipe down the frame with lacquer thinner to get rid of any wax that may be on it, sand the frame with 300 -350 grit sand paper to get a little "tooth" that the new primer can bond to. Spray some shake can primer, lightly sand the primer with 300 - 350 grit paper wipe off with a tack cloth after blowing the majority of the dust off with air, and spray a coat of finish color. If you are satisfied with the results,--no garbage in the paint, let the first color coat ALMOST dry--- get tackey, then spray another coat without sanding. If there is garbage in the first coat, let it dry then wet-sand with 400 grit wet-dry paper or just rub with a piece of Scotch brite pad (The kind that you don't want your new wife to have in the kitchen) [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Wipe with a tack cloth, and spray another coatr.
When spraying, do not try to cover with one coat, just spray enough that the paint flows--that it doesn't look rough or powdery. Use even uniform passes with the spray.
Test your skills on the side of your metal garbage can, or on an old cookie sheet. You will be surprised how easy it is.
Hope this helps.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 12:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I would start off by getting a good wax remover water solubale and give it a a good bath removing all the wax from the surface. Then use a lacuer thinner or an enamel reducer to wipe the surface down using a a very fine scotch brite pad. Tha twill give the surface something clean for the primer to adhere to.. any area that may have rust sand thoughrally and treat with a good oxide metal etching primer. that should give you a solid base to start your finish coats with..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks guys! Now, should I use one of those little spray gizmos (have no idea what they're called), or use a regular spray gun. I figure that I might have some latitude as the frame is quite small relative to body panels.....

I'm pretty good using a rattle can, but have no idea how to set up a spray gun (air psi etc. etc....).

"(The kind that you don't want your new wife to have in the kitchen) ."

I have heaps of the scotch-brite pads that plumbers use to clean copper pipes prior to soldering. Will they be the correct courseness?

AkDale - I was really disappointed that we couldn't hook up at the airport. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I was really looking forward to shooting the breeze with you. I hope your trip was everything you hoped it would be and that your trip with your son was more than that....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 05:07 PM

Crow,

Before you go hog wild on the exterior, do something about the interior. Even in CA I see these
frames rusted through.

Strip the bolt on stuff off, (I assume that's where you are now) and tape off or cork plug most of the holes.
Leave the bigest open and pour in some POR, or other rust inhibiting paint/coating. Ues lots. keep turning
it until you are sure you have the inside coated, then drain out the remainder for re-use. Preferably run it
through a paint strainer. It would probably be a good idea to pre rinse it with lacquer thinner and blow it out
with an air gun to dry it. Do that outside and wear safety glasses so you don't get it into your eyes.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 05:28 PM
Veteran

If you can find the color that you need in a rattle can, I would use that. By the time you buy a quart of paint, the reducer, and thinner, you would have a lot of $ tied up in your project---
Not to mention, what it would cost to buy the spray gun etc...
I am not firmiliar with the coarsness of the plumbers scotch brite, but you can get the pads that I am talking about off the grocery store shelf. (Green in color), Or from your friendly local Napa auto supply.

The POR is an awsome Idea.

My trip to Spain was the best ever. Family over there are all doing very well. Flights were terrible in both directions.
I leave here on Dec 13 for NC. To meet up with my son, so we can turn around and drive back up here. almost 5000 miles to check him out to see how bad the Marines and Iraq got to him. He sounds pretty good on the phone.
Thanks for asking.
I am going to take the contact list that is posted and maybe try to say hi to other zookers. Would be really great to shake the hand of some of our cyber-friends.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 05:44 PM

Hi Crow,
I have been doing body & paint for 30 years.
These guys have it covered. I have nothing to add other than I like the idea of coating the inside of the frame.
I have been drilling a breather hole just inside the door seal on mine but coating it sounds even better.
Kerry
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 09:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Crow,
Those plumber's scotch pads are a bit too rough , you need something a little less aggressive . I know which ones you are talking about , they remove rust very easily and fast , but too harsh for paint . A simple light scotch brite is plenty, just enough to remove the shine and scuff up the surface for the new paint to adhere to . If you are interested in a cheap gun to play with , get a small "touch up" gun , most only run about $30 . Pay close attention to inexpensive "kits" , some even have a strainer cup to measure consistency in paint thickness to make sure you've thinned it enough to spray . Most of these run on 45-50psi , so a regulator is necessary . With some practice , you really can lay a nice paint job down , even if it's only one panel at a time . A good skill to learn , and just another one that is dying out fast ....
Sarge
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 09:31 AM

Yup,
Red 3M Scotch Brite pt. # 7777 is what I use for E-coat & painted parts.
Kerry
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Great info guys, THANKS!
Now, how much reducer to paint? I discovered some paint and reducer I had that is still good. Might be enough to do the job......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode