Questions about SPOA - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Questions about SPOA

I have an 86 Zuke right now with lifted springs and a body lift. The lift was on the truck when I got it and it sucks! [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
I want to go spring over to get back to the plush ride of stock but I have a couple of questions.

1) I live in Canada and the Zuke is my winter vehicle. With SPOA installed will I be able to run my 235/75/15 winter tires or will it be too unstable?
2) Where would I get specs for creating my own perches?
3) How high can I make the perches without using spacers and if possible affecting my winter driving on the smaller tires? (235/75/15)
4) Do I need extended brake lines? If so are there other cars that I can grab them from?

Thanks
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 02:22 PM

Re: Questions about SPOA

1-- A spring over will get you 4-5" of lift, much to tall for 235s
2-- Spring perches are cheap,I've seen $10 traier perches used.
3-- Spacers?
4-- Yes you'll have to use longer brakelines, do a search for "brakelines" some people have posted parts #s and lenghts. You also need to think about steering, shocks, and driveshaft spacers. Better to have them before you find out you need them.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 02:46 PM

Stability shouldnt be a problem if you only do a spoa, you will clear those tires easy. You want need driveshaft spacers if you dont go any higher than a basic spoa. You wont need break line ext either, just move your existing lines and give them more reach.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking about getting the perches from Breeze because they would just fit out of the box and probably cost me less than buying the steel.
I just need the 235's for the winter . Currently I have a set of 33's on the truck but I think I might wanna drop down to 31's just cause of bearing wear but I'm not sure yet.
The spacers and brake lines is what I was told. As long as I stay withing the basic SPOA I should be fine. If I wanted to fit in the 33's I would have to do a body lift as well or maybe a shackle I suppose.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 08:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Get the Breeze perches, They work better than any stinking trailer perch in my opinion.They also control spring wrap better due to there lenght.
I think you should stop panicking over the bearing issue. I've been on 33's for years and there fine. I don't see it being much of a prob unless you run 2" backspacing.

You need the spacers for the driveshafts. I have some for sale if you need them.

Brake lines need to be changed if you go 5.5" lift. Period! Here is a list of them
Brake lines

If yu install them Thorturds for the winter ya better keep spare underware in the glovebox!

You might have forgoten about the steering correction. You will need a Z-link or a x-over like breezes to keep it off the springs.

If you need someone to do the work for you with experience let me know.

The end.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 08:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

DO NOT USE TRAILER PERCHES!!!!!!

Okay, now that I got that point across, your best bet IS the breeze kit -- especially since you are in Canada and that's where Breeze is.

I have the Breeze SPOA with extended brake lines and a Breeze draglink (MUCH MORE RELIABLE than a home-made z-link) to help cut down on bump-steer. I did need driveline spacers. I also have longer shocks and a Breeze shock mount in the rear.

An excellent source of information on the Breeze SPOA would be Northcoast Offroad.

He might be able to have the kit sent directly to you from Breeze so you don't have to pay export/import fees. Tim can also sell you brake line extensions OR you can do a search here for "brake line" with a range of one year.

I have an '88 with a Breeze SPOA and Draglink with stock gears and a 1.6 8-v. I run 31" when offroading and stock tires other times. It runs fine although when the smaller tires are mounted, it looks kinda weird...

Hope this helps!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 12:12 AM

I haven't experiemented with it (my spring over was a kit) but it seems to me you could get away without driveline spacers only if you didn't really wheel it.

Maybe longer shocks? Longer shocks came with my kit so I never tried full compression/droop with stock shocks -- someone more experienced and smarter (okay - anyone) chime in.

Oh, for what its worth, if it's ride quality that you really want to improve, you may want to save your money for a YJ spring conversion. This is not from personal experience, mind you, but from what I've heard and read. I've had my spring over for just over a year and already I find myself really wanting the better ride and increased articulation -- mostly the increased articulation. And there's so many other things I really need to do to it first.

WB

What to spend my money on next... Oh yeah, the 1.6 conversion. Then it's the...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

WOW! [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] Thanks guys for all the usefull information. I wasn't expecting this.

I was looking at the Breeze products and was wondering if they are reliable components which from this response I would assume yes. The bonus is that there pricing is what I would consider reasonable not like some of the other manufacturers I have looked at.
I am a little hesitant on the driveline spacers. I was thinking that they would cause vibration at higher speeds through the driveline. I wasn't sure if they were recommended for anything but off-road use where your just putting along. Maybe ackerdakerly can comment.
Like I posted above the Thornbirds aren't for winter use. There not even that usefull in heavy rainfall so you know they're not used in the winter. This is why I wanted to know how the 235's would work with the SPOA. According to the above it may be questionable.
If I wanted to fit the 33's under there which by now are about 32's could it be done with the 6" SPOA or would I also need a small body lift.
Is there much more cost to a YJ conversion? Any links for information.

Thanks again for all the info!
[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 09:41 AM

oh man, i loved the comment about if you run thornturds in the winter you had better keep a spare pair of underware in the glove box!

my wifes zuk is spring over and is currently running 235 size mud tires. it drives pretty good with them and doesn't look funny either. it has the short con-ferr perches and stock flat springs and stock shackles so the lift is still realitively small. it has driveline spacers installed and i really don't notice much driveline vibration at hiway speeds.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 05:52 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I was thinking that they would cause vibration at higher speeds through the driveline. I wasn't sure if they were recommended for anything but off-road use where your just putting along.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been running my driveline spacers for just over a year. It's the wife's daily driver and what I like to drive on the weekends and we're rural so it's on the highway just about everytime we drive it. NO vibrations ever at any speed. Even when we're cruising through the sand in 4x4 relatively fast, we have no vibrations.

If I wanted to fit the 33's under there which by now are about 32's could it be done with the 6" SPOA or would I also need a small body lift

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't get 6" out of my spring over. Close to 5" perhaps. I have 30x9.5's on it now (29" tall) and even with the lift I had to trim the plastic caps on the front bumper (or you can just take 'em off) and I had to pound the flat the seams on the rear of the wheel well (NOT a big deal). I'm guessing bigger tires would require more lift.

Is there much more cost to a YJ conversion? Any links for information.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure this is the YJ conversion I want: http://www.asianautopartsofaz.com/suspensionparts.html Besides the kit (if you go that route) you'd need a new front driveline, new shocks, extended brake lines and to get full articulation out of it new shock mounts too (from what I've read).

What others think: http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s...rue#Post320280

http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s...31&amp;fpart=1

An Off-Road.com review: http://www.off-road.com/suzuki/reviews/cssuspension.htm

Hope this helps,
WB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode