3 quarts a week??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

3 quarts a week???

OK, here's one for you motor heads. I did not even think it was possible that a Zuk motor could consume 3 quarts of oil per week, but this one does!
Here's the story:
I picked up a Zuk with a blown head gasket a while back and the old owner said it had not been driven in a while. A new water pump, head gasket, timing belt and plugs were installed in it and now that it has been all put back together and is being driven daily, but it uses almost as much oil as it does gas. It smoked (whitish grey) a little so I put a 1/2 quart of Lucas in it and it now only smokes on start up and it is not really noticeable when driving. The perplexing part of this is that it has great compression and is much faster than most any other Samurai with a stock 1.3 I have driven, but it eats oil at a disturbing rate. As many Zuks' as I have worked on I know that the problem is either the rings or the valve seals and looking at the plugs that I removed it had oil around the base of them indicating it was probably the oil rings' not sealing....but 3 quarts a week????
Has anyone had this bad of a problem?

Sean DeVinney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 06:13 PM

Re: 3 quarts a week???

I have a similar problem with an 87 I own. I picked it up with a blown head gasket as well, this one with only 42k original miles on it. I replaced the head gasket, and it runs like a top. 195 pounds compression on all 4 cylinders. It consumes 3-4 quarts of oil per tank of gas! I do not see any noticeable smoke from the tailpipe, and it does not leak a drop. Strange, but it runs so well that I really hesitate to fix it. I noticed that it has increased spark knock, and changing timing does not really affect results. The engine pushes the truck down the highway at 75 MPH no problem with 31's. Odd?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 07:13 PM
Journeyman

Havent taken apart my head on the zuk yet, but from what I understand valve guide\seals can cause these symptoms!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 07:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yep... my motor did that too! Might be 3 quarts if I let it... I never really checked to see how much weekly. I know for a fact it likes oil more than gas.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Old Hand

Just a guess here....but have you checked the fuel pump to make sure your not loosing oil out the vent??

That's where I was loosing some of my oil.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 08:29 PM

Hah! I had a motor i picked up at the junk yard once. had to install it that weekend because the old motor gave up on me. anyway i didin't get to rebuild it like i had planned. I just put it in. it used 2 quarts of oil every day i drove it to work. (70mile round trip) I was susprised it last the month that it did.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 08:41 PM

the geo metro i drive to tech school with eats oil horribly too but runs great. i drive about 50 miles per day and i need to add one quart every two days. thats 100 miles per quart of consumption. every six months it also will melt the #2 sparkplug completely. runs great but hard on oil. doesn't smoke much cuz the cat burns (cleans) the exhaust smoke. if i removed the cat, the car would smoke worse than a cannon.

btw, our local chevy dealership mechanics tell me that an efi 350 engine can consume up to 7 quarts of oil per 3000 miles and still be within their specs and won't do anything to fix the engine under their warranty...and this was on a new truck at the time!!! [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 11:47 PM

sounds like y my green zuk runs off strait lucas yep 5qts of lucas LOL been that way 4 2 years now
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 12:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

WHAT! hahaha, you use straight lucast oil? Shoot, that's like gear oil! lol

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 04:32 AM
osceola555

I'm not an expert, but my '87 was using at least a quart with every tank of gas. No smoke and no visible leaks that would account for that much. I saw a hint here a couple years ago and tried it. The EGR valve was plugged up bad, as was the hose running to it. I cleaned the hose and pulled the valve. Then let the valve soak for a while in a pan of gas just deep enough so that the gas didn't touch the rubber, cleaned it up and reinstalled. The oil consumption dropped to almost nothing. This may not fix yours, but it costs nothing but time to try.
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode