rear end problems (long) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

rear end problems (long)

88 zuk that had a welded rear end with 5.13 r+p, they welded the spider gears in two slots on each side of the spider gear. About a month ago after a hard launch on pavement I heard a pop in the rear end over the next few days, usually when turning sharply.
Then no noise and the rear seemed to be an open differential, I could drive in tight circles and never get a tire chirp or shifting of the vehicle as it did when it was still welded.
So I knew I needed to change my oil due to weld chunks surely bieng in the oil. So I did [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img], and immediately after changing out the oil it started popping as if it were a worn out locker, the tighter I turned the more it popped and grinded. (keep in mind this is my daily driver or it would have been parked by now).
It would do fine on the highway, but after 2-3 days, noises more frequent, and now ever the slightest turn would make it pop and grind. It got to the point yesterday that 1,2 and 3rd gear would make it pop and sometimes while in 4th and 5th, it feels like a slipping clutch, but the noise and jolt when it would catch clearly pointed to the rearend.

So today I pop the axles out, pull the 3rd member out (my first time yanking this piece out), and start snooping around.

all of the teeth on the ?ring gear? are very shiny as if contact is beig made everywhere on the teeth except for the very inner and outer edges by the bottom corner of each tooth. AS i spin the pinion there is 1 spot that I can barely get it to spin past, I have to grab the gear with one hand and the pinion with the other to get it to spin??

When the ring is moving freely there is a very slight amount of play while I move the pinion back and forth as the teeth engage (a very small amount of play).

The noise I experienced sounded as if it were going to bust an axle shaft, what the help is going on with this thing?

[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] im beginning to hate my zuk [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 01:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: rear end problems (long)

Is the 3rd re-installed yet? If not I'd pull it apart to see where it is contacting. Check the bolts holding the ring gear on too... if they are loose they'll rub and give you popping noises and cause wind-up and all that fun stuff. Thats all I can think of... I am sure one of the brighter guys will come on and give more help. Good luck, Brent
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 08:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Two things have happened from what I've read . One , either the pinion shaft is bent , or has a couple of bad teeth . Two, one or both of the side gears have cracked , maybe even in half to allow the axle to hop inside of it . How do the splines on the axles look ? If you find one that is starting to round off , that is the problem and you'll have to remove the diff and disassemble it to repair it . Either way, I wouldn't run it in that state....
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 06:47 AM

What a coincidence! I just had a customer with a similar problem....he welded up his rear end and after a few weeks of some odd jerking and weird noises began coming out of it. At one point the rear end completely locked up and sent him into a spin on a wet road and he came only inches from landing it in a large ditch. Immediately he removed the 3rd member and brought it to me to inspect. The slag and metal chunks from welding had contaminated the bearings thereby locking it up. The only solution was to completely rebuild or replace the 3rd member which he did. At this time it is still open differential since he is scared of welding it up again and is currently too poor to get a spool.
If you need parts I have a few 5.12 3rd members left that are open diff and in GC.

Sean DeVinney
[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Brent - no didn't reinstall and bolts on ringgear appear to be fine,

Sarge - I dont think the pinion shaft is bent cuz the pinion revolves much faster than the
ring and it only hangs up at one point as the ring makes a full revolution.
Axle splines looked good, no rounding.

Aftermarket - Yikes!! and im questioning if I want to go back to welded or not?
My zuk sees a lot of pavement

All - Thanks for the ideas, I went ahead and threw my old axle with the 3.73 back under the zook
and will start to dismantle the 5.12 on friday, I'll let yall know what I find

thanks again
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 11:38 AM

hippie, there is a way to weld your diff and not get the metal slag or welding spatter all over. what i did was i took out both side gears and welded them while they were completely out of the diff and away from the bearings. i filled in two of the teeth and then filled in the two teeth that were 180 degrees away on the same side gear. i did this on both of the side gears. i learned this technique from some jeep 4x4 site under the keyword "fozzy locker". this also allows slight play and not a completely solid "lock" like welding up the spider gears or installing a spool will. as long as the penetration of the weld is good when filling in the teeth, other stuff will bust before the filled in teeth on the side gears do.

so far mine has held up to abuse and even held up while pulling a chevy on 44s out of a creak.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Well many moons have came and gone but I finally got around to turning a few bolts to discover this crack in the rear end?? It was hard to get a good pic but I can positively feel the crack running at least half way down the teeth.

All of the bearings seemed to spin freely once pulled apart though.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 12:22 PM
SPAMurai

My girlfriend is developing seme rear end problems also... Nothing a little exercise wouln't fix though!
[img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 12:53 PM

"a hard launch on pavement" ... hmmmmmm I wonder how he cracked those side gears?

Welded is not a good choice for a Ddriver, too much stress put on the axles @ the splines. Wheel chirp equals shock loads and stress @ the axle splines. U will wind up going through rear axles pretty regularly.

For a D Driver look into a detroit or lock-rite ratcheting mechanism or as stated earler "fozzy" lock it to allow for a little movement around corners.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Yeah I also found one of the splines twisted, thankfully I had a spare to throw in. It has a locker in the front end so I may just leave the rear open this time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode