Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Suzuki GEO All (https://forums.off-road.com/suzuki-geo-all/)
-   -   O/T Don't know what to get Dad for Xmas...... (https://forums.off-road.com/suzuki-geo-all/181556-o-t-dont-know-what-get-dad-xmas.html)

RgdL 11-25-2003 04:03 PM

O/T Don\'t know what to get Dad for Xmas......

Any others here go through this every year? He has everything he'll ever need, and when you ask him what he'd like he can't come up with anything. When I asked him yesterday what he wanted or needed, he actually told me black socks.

I bought him a real nice BBQ two years ago because he truly needed a new one - and he got mad at me because I spent too much money. Everytime he uses it now when I'm visiting he tells me how much he loves it. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Even my Mother can't think of anything to get him.

He's semi-retired and mostly golfs spring/summer/fall. But he has more golf equipment than he'll ever need. Doesn't fix or build much anymore, and whatever tools he could ever need he already has.

I'm sure others here have come across this dilemna. Anyone have any suggestions in the $200-$400 range?

CTBrent 11-25-2003 04:15 PM

Re: O/T Don\'t know what to get Dad for Xmas......

Luckily, my dad has a Harley that seems to be broken ALL THE TIME. Actually I think I have used it more than he, a whopping 3 times. So I think I'll get him something for that... I know what you're saying though, I used to take my Dad shopping (because he's a terrible gift giver) and I'd see something he was interested in and grab it the next day but now... he too has all he wants. You'll figure it out... Good luck! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

CrowHorse 11-25-2003 04:32 PM

Send him to golf camp........

rockrat 11-25-2003 04:42 PM

Buy him gift certificates for 18 holes that he can redeem when he wants to golf

JerseyZuks 11-25-2003 05:14 PM

Buy him a $400 gift certificate for Trail Tough. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Oh, wait, that's from my list.

BigDuckie 11-25-2003 05:52 PM

Buy him lessons with the pro at the course he uses most.

arizuki86335 11-25-2003 07:10 PM

weird electronics

I don't golf, never have--never will. No comment.
However, I am a BIG fan of "weird electronics."
You know, Dick Tracy wristwatch radios. That kinda stuff.
Well, if my feeble memory is functional, I think the golf industry is on the cutting edge of weird electronic in a lot of ways. Range finders, to be exact. I think there's a whole huge genre of digital toys out there for "golf guys." They mostly use them to impress each other but the "toys" DO actually serve a functional purpose.

Bear in mind I DO NOT play golf and so I am repeating this from a feeble memory.

OK, let's say you are on the 7th tee. You mosey up to the tee and casually whip out this weirdo little gizmo. You point it at the distant flag and mumble to yourself, "Hum, a #2 driver, thought it would been a 3 wood myself." Then you whip out your #2 wood and whack the little white ball halfway to Disneyland. Then you walk up to your "lie" and whip out your weirdo little gizmo and point it toward the flag and it says, "90 yards, use a 3 iron." And you turn to your buddies and casually say, "well, I think I'm 'bout 90 yards from the pin but I oughta use a 3 iron."

You know, this is geek stuff no normal guy can resist.

If I played golf, I'd have 2 or 3 of them. As it is, I work on 2 Zukis and I wish I had a "talking diagnostic device." One that said, "Hey numb n*ts, have you checked the timing lately?" You know, stuff like that.

J&S

CTBrent 11-25-2003 07:34 PM

Re: weird electronics

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
As it is, I work on 2 Zukis and I wish I had a "talking diagnostic device." One that said, "Hey numb n*ts, have you checked the timing lately?" You know, stuff like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA... I think that device does exist! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] That's too funny!

freebird01 11-26-2003 10:30 AM

Re: weird electronics

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I wish I had a "talking diagnostic device." One that said, "Hey numb n*ts, have you checked the timing lately?" You know, stuff like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That device DOES exist.....it is my dad...

LoneToySoldier 11-28-2003 02:17 AM

I'm gonna go out on a limb here - $150 of black socks - wait for it, this is gonna be good - and $50 of white socks!!! He'll be so surprised! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] The desert has fried my brain. Anyhow, buy ammo. Everybody likes getting ammo and jerkey for Christmas. Probably lost some fishing lures to deep grass or tree trunks over the summer, that's always a good one. Bolts, electrical fittings, tape, work gloves, all kinds of good stuff. Might be a good idea in there somewhere.