Slightly OT: Dodge Dakota tow rig - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Slightly OT: Dodge Dakota tow rig

I looked through the archives, but couldn't find much on a Dakota. I sold my Taco before I got deployed, and won't have much money when I got back. Saved a bunch so far, but got married 7 days before I left for the war. Sooooo, have to buy a vehicle and a home when I get back. I'm thinking that a Dakota ext cab with a 318 and a 5 speed would be good for us. I really want the extended cab, more room inside. The Taco was great, but it really wasn't big enough. I used to have an 87 Dakota, I hope they've improved since then. The auto was a nightmare. I think Dakota with a 318 or maybe even the magnum v6 would tow the sammy (Stock axles, 31's) alright with a load of camping gear in the bed. After all, I towed it with a 2.7 liter 4 cyl Taco. I would love to have a diesel Ram or something fullsize, but I'm gonna be poor when I get back. Anyone have anything good to say about the newer Daks? Thinking about 1993-1996 models, hoping to spend under 6k. Go ahead, blast away [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] ----> Iraqi Army
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 03:42 PM
Frog

Re: Slightly OT: Dodge Dakota tow rig

Well, not flaming here just giving an opinion.
My company has a fleet of about 40 Dodge, Dakotas and vans. V6 and 318, we've had more problrms than we can remeber with those trucks. Trannies, engines, power steering and water pumps, etc.
The one I drive had to get a new engine (318) at 18,0000 miles. And I got it new so I know it's never been abused and always well maintained.
I promised I would never buy a Dodge, even my POS Ford explorer is more reliable than that...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 08:08 PM
Veteran

I think you'll tow with no problems with the 318 and the 5-speed. Do stay away from the automatics, they still aren't up to snuff yet. Water pumps, Power steering, haven't seen a common problem there. May be a locale issue, problems up here tend to be different from down in FLA.Fuel pump would be the only other problem, they don't seem to have a long life expectancy,50-70K miles.Try to get a 94-95 year, the 93-94's aren't quite as nice. Any other Q's, feel free to P/M me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 10:30 PM
zukiman

Mopars are known for being tough as nails. Nobody I know personally has ever had any significant problems with their Dodges, etc. Our 98 Grand Cherokee has the 360 (5.9 liter) V8 and in 80,000 miles we haven't had any problems with the engine, tranny, t-case, or anything else. It's the same motor as the 318, just larger, and I've towed my Sammy and my 69 Dodge Charger with it effortlessly. When I do a brake stand, the driver's front wheel lifts off the ground and the other three peel out. It'll lay to waste any SUV besides the old GMC Typhoon, the new Porsche Cayenne, and the Infiniti FX45.

A friend has a 98 Durango with the 318, never had any problems, and another friend has a Dakota with the 4.7 and despite lots of heavy trailer towing, he hasn't had a single problem.

-- Geoff
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

If not a Dakota, can you guys give a recommendation on something that I'll be able to use as a DD, tow the Sammy with, and won't eat me alive in fuel costs? I have to drive long distances pretty often for the Guard and need to able to afford to do so. Any ideas, shoot.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 02:55 PM
Veteran

The only reasonably fuel efficient tow vehicle I know of is a diesel, but you gotta ante up for the oil burners, looks like you're unfortunatly in a catch 22.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode