GTI swap questions? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

GTI swap questions?

Ok I got my new 1990 daily driver from a buddy, and he happens to have a pretty nice swift GTI in his yard, the motor has 66000 miles on it and runs nice, he would only want 400 for the whole car so I figured it would be a fun swap, however I wouldnt do the swap right away due to the fact the motor in it now only has 90k on it, but I never really looked into the GTI swap. So, Is it a direct fully bolt in? I do recall hearing the distributor has to be clocked, where are these kits and how much? will a 8v header bolt onto it? I take it a new harness must be made? Thanks, Billy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 10:42 PM
zukiman

Re: GTI swap questions?

The block is the same; it's the internals and the head that differ from those of the Samurai.

If you're looking to swap the whole motor in, including the head, EFI, sensors, computer, etc, be forewarned that this is a pretty major project. There's supposedly a distributor adapter available, otherwise you'll have to remove or relocate your heater and notch your firewall to gain clearance for the distributor. Although this was my original plan, I decided to make the swap much simpler.

Using the entire GTi bottom end (just swapped the Samurai oil pan and pickup tube) I bolted on one of Asian Auto Parts' "Sumo 2" Samurai heads. Of course, my engine is now an interference engine (valves will contact the pistons if my timing belt ever breaks) but it's never caused me any problems. With the torque cam, there's plenty of low-end grunt, yet I regularly rev it up to 9000rpm and beyond. So far, I have about 25,000 miles on it, and it's better in every way than the 8-valve 1600 that my buddy swapped into his Samurai.

If you do a search on this BBS, you'll find quite a bit of discussion about the GTi swap.

-- Geoff
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 01:15 AM

Check this out studly suzisport Some good things come from down under [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 09:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I've done it. Hehhe, it's nice when you're bogging down in the muck at 5k, just press the gas some more, 7k and we're flying [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]! No problems!

I've yet to make an 8k run, 7k has been the max as of now. She sure sings!

I'd also suggest the gti shortblock and sumo ii head (with modded exhaust and intake). EVERYTHING will swap/bolt up.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

if I use a sumo 2 head and put it onto the GTI engine that will allow me to run my original harness correct? I think I will take it out of the car, break it down get it cleaned, throw a sumo 2 head on it, put a new clutch on it and drop her in [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 04:39 PM
Enthusiast

That is what I am about to do.. I finally got the funds!!!! I am picking up a low mileage gti motor complete and selling everything off and keeping the block, running a sumo two head with dual 40 mm mikuni's (already run those on sami motor), 2inch hi flow exaust, msd coil, mallory hyfire ignition,crank scraper, and then this next summer comes tha nitrous [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]....

Later, Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode