2.8 chevy engine swap?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 06:53 PM
TRAILMASTERC

2.8 chevy engine swap??

I did a search on this and couldn't find any aone with this question or any info on it!
I have found a 80's chevy camaro with a 2.8 efi engine and good auto trans. looks like it will fit I know I will have to make a few things but that is cool I have no problem with that just concerned about the length of it and I don't want to cut much if any of the sheet metal. I can get this car for around 500.00 and drive it home! I also have noticed that a lot of people on this board still have there 1.3 engines and seem to be happy and I was wondering if gears made all that much differance. The problem I am having is going up hills and it just gives out of power and won't make it up and I have to winch up the hill not too funnnn>>>
Thanks,
Bradley C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 07:01 PM
JCC

Re: 2.8 chevy engine swap??

Put your money on gears, yes they make a huge impact on power. The only 2.8's I have experience with were in s-10's and they are a poor excuse for a v-6. I have never heard anything good about one.
I don't think the 4.16 are enough for 31 inch tires, not unless you also regear the diffs. But they should work fine with 235's. I run 4.89 gears with my 31's. They work pretty good on the highway with my tired motor, but they work real good off road. JCC
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 08:02 PM

brian aka ZUK JR. runs that v6 in his zuk and I believe he had nothing but good things to say about it, gears bring power back for tire increase, but can only bring you back to stock, if you werent happy with stock then you can over gear resulting in lower top speed/ higher RPM's, matters what your applying the power to but I believe you would be just as satisfied with a 16v motor swap, there spritey lil engines and I plan to put one back in my new DD...just a thought [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 09:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yeah, I'm running a GM 2.8L V6, with Dana 300 t-case, stock yota axles, and 16x35" boggers.
I finely got to drive it around and see how it does on the street! And it made a huge difference. I've only got a few miles on a rebuilt 2.8, but from what I can see, it will be fun off road! It is going to my uncle's shop to get some sheet metal work done (tranny tunnel, and door panel’s), and see if I can make a duel t-case shifter. I know all the bad stuff about the 2.8, like the lower half being prone to blow. Click here to read post about 2.8's I got the engine for FREE, so that is why I went for the little v6, I've got planes on replacing the 2.8l for a 3.8L when the 2.8 goes bad. Just keep the oil changed, and keep up with normal maint. and it should last for awhile. One other member had the same setup as me, and blew up the lower half because of over rev'n it, now I think he has a 3.1L?
Next in the plans is a gear reduction for the Dana 300! [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Here is a pic of my 2.8L, it fits in there just fine! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1202315-Jan0409a.jpg (64.8 KB, 4 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 09:47 PM

brian just throw in a v8 if it blows dammit [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Everyone knows all chevy's keep a near relavent bolt pattern on there blocks [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Lookin great, I thought you have/ had been driving it for a while now?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 10:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Nope, I drove it around the block a few times before, but since my clutch pedel was all fooked up, I had to put it in gear and start it up. That was how I checked to see how it drove back then. My problem was I mounted my clutch master cyl. too low, and when I pushed the pedel in, it wouldn't push the piston in far enough to engauge the clutch.

I haven't had time to work on it this summer, and haven't been on the boards much either. Mostly due to getting new jobs at Fire Dept, and just got a new house too! So, now my wife and I are in the middle of moving. I now have a garage to work on the Zuk and my race bikes! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But, back to the topic... I'd put a V8 in, but I helped my friend when I was in NC put his 350 in. That was a pain in the arse, and I think it was way too much! I kinda want to keep it small, so a 3.1 or 3.8 will do just fine! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
BTW, your install looks good [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 05:41 AM

i run a 2.8 ford with stock t case and gears,the ford tranny is in also runninr 35" tires have no problems with pulling hills at all matter a fact have no problem pulling full size trucks out of the mud either i dont think the chev 2.8 has the same amount of power bbut it will make a hell of an increase
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 07:33 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
My problem was I mounted my clutch master cyl. too low, and when I pushed the pedel in, it wouldn't push the piston in far enough to engauge the clutch.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey brian I had to mount my clutch MC low as well, to the lower right of the brake booster, its harder to push in due to leverage issues (farther up would have been easier), and the pedal stops before it hits the floor, ya your right, this is the second V8 swap I have done and there not easy to stuff in there, the BFH was my best friend [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] thanks for the compliment, seems your zuk is comming along really well to.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 08:38 PM

thers another reason on the ford the cluch works great.mc is mounted on the fender well
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 09:13 PM

Local guy out here just sold his Zuk with a 2.8 in it and he bought a stocker and swapped in a 16 valve. Overall he is much happier, but he also drives it to work every day and loves getting over 20mpg verses the 12mpg he was getting because of the low gearing he had.
To each his own, so if that is what you like go for it. The 2.8 definately fits in there...Brian is proof of that! Looks good Brian.....GET IT ON THE TRAILby next ZukiMelt!

Sean DeVinney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode