performance cam ?'s amd other engine stuff - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 12:32 AM
funksH3

performance cam ?\'s amd other engine stuff

Just had a rocker arm break while driving home from wheeling in frasier park area off I-5. Any way looks like replacing the rocker is going to be a lot more work then it is on my old camaro.

I looked at the cam and it looks kind of worn so I was thinking about replacing it while I have it apart. Does anyone on this board use an aftermarket cam from calmini, petro, roadless gear, or rocky road? did it help performance much?

I was thinking about getting rocky roads performance kit which includes an intake,cam and header, my exhaust manifold is really cracked. How will the performance cam effect smog check here in CA?

Last thing is about lubrication. how is the valve train lubricated? Again my camaro shoots oil up through the pushrods. In the samurai I have run the engine for a few minutes with the valve cover off and at the end I noticed a few sprinkles of oil on the heat shield, but no real oil squirting all over the place like I would think it should be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 04:09 PM
Alfie

Re: performance cam ?\'s amd other engine stuff

I don't have an aftermarket cam, but had my cam reground. I has given a power boost that was worth the $. It allows me to overtake even. So because of the power increase I have decided to just fit gofaster bits to my motor and forget an engine swap.
On the head at the front is an oil restrictor. See photo. The potser says that this should be removed, or drilled out to get the oil flow needed for the high revs. I found this on Pirate.
HTH
Alf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1202080-1300 oil restrictor.jpg (24.5 KB, 100 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 07:30 PM
funksH3

Who reground the cam? what are the spec's after it was reground? does anyone know the specs on a stock cam? where can I find rocker arms and followers for sale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 08:11 PM

if Im correct asian auto sells regrounds for 100 dollars...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 10:59 PM
Alfie

Yep, see Dave @ AAPA i'm sure he'll hook you up.
The man who ground my cam is several thousand miles away from you. But I gave him the Isky grind specs and he went as close as he could with a zuki cam. To get the extra lift etc. you need to start with a new billet and make it what you want. I think that's how it works, as far as rocker arms and followers go, again talk to Dave or one of the other suzuki aftermarket guys. Sean Devinney is on this board and he may be able to help also.
HTH
Alf.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 08:37 PM

Alfie, could I get the specs of you for the cam grind. It will be cheaper for me to get it done here in OZ than import a cam. Thanks, CJ
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 09:44 PM
Alfie

Didn't realise you're in Oztruckinfalia?
Hehehe.
If you go to RRO website the Iskedarian cam is listed with the grind details. I just gave it to the grinder and he went as close as he could. But I don't have the details as the head shop lost them and I didn't ask for them for a few weeks and..... well.....
Might as well ask for the winning lotto numbers for next week.
But use the Isky numbers as a guide, worked out OK for me.
Pulls ok from 1500 rpm better at 2000 rpm and really cuts in at 3000 on up to over 7000 rpm, but will rev off the tach guage. But it is a Gti bottom end with 8 V head etc etc. etc.
HTH
Alfie.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 12:20 PM
Can't Get Enough

I have an Isky, and I'm a race car [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

compared to a yugo..J/K it does help.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 07:09 PM
funksH3

Does the cam pull out the front of the engine? My haynes manual dosn't explain cam removal and I reall ywant to have all my parts and tools together when I tear the zuk apart so I cna get it back together quick. What seals ten to leak the most? I was thinking about replacin gthe crank seal and the timing belt whle I have everything apart My engine leaks a lot down at the bottom. Can't determine exactly where from. Thanks
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 07:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Make sure the leak is not coming from the rear of the distributer and dripping down the backside of the engine. There is a O-ring in there that leaks like a sieve when it goes but cost like 2 bucks. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode