Today I did up some t-case mounting arms to handle the 6.5:1 gears. The long arm is basically the same as my old one but I did the short arm differently.
I started off by drilling out the 2 spot welds which hold the small reinforcement plate to the arm. This is the small plate which has the 4 hole bolt pattern in it. Removal of this plate gave me a flat surface to work with.
A piece of 3”x3/16” about 4-3/4” long was then cut. This plate will sit inside the arm. Approximately 3/16” needed to be removed on the long side of this plate to allow it to sit flat in the arm. The plate was then tack welded into plate, and the holes drilled through from the other side.
Next I took a piece of 1/2x1/4” plate and ran it through the length of the arm, between the bolt holes. More of this “ribbing” was added in the upper arm, all of which ties into each other. A piece was bent to wrap around the t-case mounting arm bushing and go back to the 3/16” plate and the rest of the ribbing. This ribbing will add a significant amount of strength and rigidity to the arm and keeps the weight to a minimum unlike other methods (like covering the arm with 1/4” plate like I did with my last one).
The black unmodified arm in the pictures is a stock arm I had used for one 4 wheeling trip and bent. At the time I didn’t have access to a welder adequate enough for the job, so I had left it stock.
Comparison to the stock bent arm.
A few shots of my long arm:
All finished and installed in the zuk
I finally got around to installing these poly t-case bushings from Roadless Gear
My mess of a back yard
While I had the zuk squeezed into the drive way, I decided to re-drill my front shackle hangers (stock spring hangers) to relocate the shackle further back and above the previous location. I did this because the shackle was sitting too flat and often collapsed against the frame under compression.
I’d say a tire upgrade for the zuk is in order [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]. The swampers look pretty good on my Toyota. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Actually I’ve found some 35x12.5” radial mud tires which will be going on the zuk, and the Toyota can have the swampers until I lift it – at which point I will swap them around.