undecided gearing question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

undecided gearing question

Heres the scoup. I have a zuki with dana 44 axels, 1.6 beefed a little, and 35" boggers. Those axels have 3.07 gears, right now. With the stock case, I was only able to use up to second gear. I now have the 6.5:1 gears in the case. I am now able to get into fourth gear. Now, I would like to reach highway speeds and be comfortable with them. What should I throw in the axels? I was thinking about 4.56. But I was told that wouldn't be egnough. Would 4.88 be too low for the highway and make the 1.6 scream to keep up or do I need to go even lower? A gear chart on the net said that to pull 35" tires you need a 4.88 gear. How exactly would the 25% reduction in the case affect that? Any help would be great. I will be ordering the gears the first of next month. I think I will lincoln lock the rear also until I can afford a good spool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 07:49 PM
JCC

Re: undecided gearing question

I am no expert, I'm not even a good novice, but I alway read or heard to run 4.56 gears with 35's. With a Zuk case already having a reduction the 4.56's should work fine. You might want to search around on the pirate board, there are several people that run dana axles there. JCC
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 07:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: undecided gearing question

Grumpy, this is something I am considering too. I have d44 front 60 rear with 4.10's, 6:1case, but I am going with the 1.8 reduction also with a 1.6 8v. I think 4.88 will be too low for the highway with the reduction. I'm thining about going to 4.56's but that will screw up what i have for lockers. I'd keep searching around... Did you hit up Pirate yet and ask them?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode